Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its always something....

Starter question this time...
    Push the starter button some times it will turn the motor till the battery dies. other times it will turn the motor once then the starter motor spins to beat hell but not the engine. It seems to be more of a problem when the bike is hot. I know in a car this means the starter gears are shot, I'd imagine the same is true for the bike. The fact that its worse when its hot makes me wonder if its not just the starter clutch getting sticky I know you guys got some advice... lay it on me!
    Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Freak_Leg -- kick it for a while, then split (the cases).

Find a kicker lever from an XS850 and use it instead of the electric starter, then don't do anything until find a good, used, starter clutch, gaskets, seals, o-rings and the other assorted bits you'll need to put the bike back together.

Somewhere I think I still have the list of Yamaha part numbers for everything you'd need plus a lot more you, hopefully, wouldn't need.

Sorry....

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
      Freak_Leg -- kick it for a while, then split (the cases).

Find a kicker lever from an XS850 and use it instead of the electric starter, then don't do anything until find a good, used, starter clutch, gaskets, seals, o-rings and the other assorted bits you'll need to put the bike back together.

Somewhere I think I still have the list of Yamaha part numbers for everything you'd need plus a lot more you, hopefully, wouldn't need.

Sorry....

Regards,

Scott
      Ugh... thanks for conferming my fears scott

Thanks
      Tony
      Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Comment

Tony, you have nothing to fear but fear itself. I believe forum member andreashweiss has a starter clutch, send him a PM.

If you don't want to get an 850 kicker and kick it then it's actually pretty easy to pull the engine and split the cases to replace the starter clutch. It's more tedious and time-consuming than it is difficult. I was more than a little worried when I did mine the first time but it all becomes clear once you have it out of the frame and on the bench, just have the fine manual handy.

Regards,

Scott
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
        X