X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey all new here belong to xj forum just got a xj1100

hey i have a xj 650 and xj 750 and just got a xj1100
    so i hear this is the best site for xj1100 and xs1100 stuff
    my bike has no spark i have 12v and coil and tid box i think my box is bad anyone got a type tid14-10?

I just posted a note for you in the other forum.

Welcome to CH 11. There are some VERY smart folks arund here. Every now and then I even seem like one of them.

BTW, thes bikes use a TCI. The proper one for the XJ1100 is a model 10M with a green label. The 14 was used on the 81 models and is also tagged a 4RO with a yellow label. I understand that the XJ will run decent with the 4RO model installed.

The older model XSs used a 2H7 model TCI. In 81 they incorporated the mechancial advance into the TCI and called it the 4RO. In 82 for the XJ model they removed the vacuum advance and added the vacuum module that signals the TCI and made the TCI the 10M model which has both mechanical and vacuum advance built into it.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Hey there JMC,

Congrats on your new acquisition! The XJ is a bit different electrically than the XS's, and there are several ignition interlocks that were added for "Safety", the sidestand switch, the clutch switch, I think even a neutral one, but can't be sure!? Anyways, what was the condition of the bike before you got it, like did it sit in storage for a while, indoors or outside?

Lots of corrosion can cause havoc with the ignition system! Have you checked your fuses? OEM glass type or replaced with solid ATCO style?

You can get a manual dowloaded from links in Catatonic Bug's profile or signature. Don't throw in the towel on the TCI so quickly, they are actually fairly robust...but are also fairly RARE and $$ to obtain or replace! So...you'll want to check and eliminate other sources for loss of spark first. You say you have 12 volts....WHERE?? At the TCI, the Ignition coils, what?

Also, even just the emergency shut of switch/run switch can corrode and cause problems...JAT!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

tid

i have 12 volts at the coils both the grey wire and the oreange and the red wire i have 12 v at the tid 6 pin on the red oearnge and grey, but nothing going out the oeange and grey 4 pin i believe that goes down to the electical in the side of the motor, ie for timing? i looked at the tid and the guy had it looked at and all the soder was renmoved at the board were the ins and outs are Ie he removed the boeard for closer inspection, and forgot to tell me that he dint re soder, i resoderd them and sure enough i have 2-3 cylenders working but not 1-4 like he said , none worked when i got it becuase he dint re soder. iam going to pull the cover and check the connections.
        it gets a good crank and i get 2 cylenders so its not a safty thing.
        seams to me that its getting power to tid but only 1 side is working.

Comment

Sounds like one of your pickup coil wires is bad. Check the wires inside of your left side cover on the engine (at the crank), Try pulling from each end at the same time to see if one has broken inside, also check the connections and the pickup coil gap.
          Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Tci

The 4RO TCI will work but not without a re-ordering of the 4 pin connector from the pickups . IIRC the orange and grey wires are switched with the ground /black wires . Not as good as a 10M but a band-aid .
            10M TCI's are big bucks but there is often one on ebay . They dont make these anymore so pick one up or wait for one you can afford .
            Get your TCI soldering straightened out then test the output of the TCI to determine whether the problem is before the TCI or after it. Randy has a nice video of the analog voltmeter test on his site . IIRC if you have a jumping needle while cranking connected at the orange and ground and then the grey and ground - everything up to that point is ok .If not trace wiring down to and including the pickup coils at the left side cover . IF needle is jumping then you trace wires testing at connectors up to the coils (orange ,grey ,red/white) to see if they are continuous . After that its only coils, wires , resistor caps and the plugs themselves .
            Spray water or feel (carefully) your header pipes to see which ones are firing to see which circuit(coil) is suspect . Leave the plugs in the head if you can as firing them outside of it weakens the coils .
            Somebody tell me if I forgot something
            XJ1100K
            Avon rubber
            MikesXS black coils
            Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
            MikesXS front master
            Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
            Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
            Progressive fork springs
            CIBIE headlight reflector
            YICS Eliminator

Comment

If you find that you've got a broken pick-up coil, try this fix:
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22680
              '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

XJ is different

Actually ,the wires do not flex as on the older XS11 setup but thats not saying there may not be a problem in the wires . Its just less likely . A impedance check on the wires up at the pickup connector at the TCI (4 pin) while wiggling the wires all the way down might show some inconsistancy if this is the case . The Randy method will quickly diagnose any problem up from the pickups and including the TCI .
                XJ1100K
                Avon rubber
                MikesXS black coils
                Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                MikesXS front master
                Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                Progressive fork springs
                CIBIE headlight reflector
                YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...