headlight works when it wants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight works when it wants

Help!!! My headlight does not come on when u turn the key on, nor when its started n runnin! Sometimes it will come one & its real dim on one postion, n bright on bright. The light indicator light comes on in the gauge, but then i turn bike off & the same thing, no headlight! has brand new light bulb in the headlight, what the ???

headlight prob

I had a time with my headlight when I got my new project. As i see it your headlight and speedo/tach inst lights power comes from one of the white wires coming from the stater/gen. If there is a prob with that wire....no lights. Im new to this bike so recheck to make sure on this.
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

Comment

Check your headlight relay, if it is bad it will prevent your headlight from coming on when the bike is started.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

And if it's dim in low beam and bright in high and the light warning light comes on in low beam, you either have a bad bulb or a bad connection to the bulb in the low beam circuit. It coming on dim is the reserve lighting module doing it's job.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Burnt wire, grounding out, weak wire connection, corroded wire could be other possiabilities. Found mine when I looked in my wiring harness and seen a burnt piece of wire, it was grounding out against the frame when turning.
          Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
          1978 XS 1100E
          Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
          K & N Air filter
          Home built forward controls
          Vulcan Mustang seat
          A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

replaced the headlight relay, wasn't it, tryed other things, no fix, not a electrician so can someone please tell if its possible to jump the headlight so it will come on, tryin to get it fixed before this weekend goin to rally next wednsday just need it for night

Comment

Originally posted by sheridanredneck View Post
              replaced the headlight relay, wasn't it, tryed other things, no fix, not a electrician so can someone please tell if its possible to jump the headlight so it will come on, tryin to get it fixed before this weekend goin to rally next wednsday just need it for night
              Bypass for the relay is:

1. Disconnect the relay
              2. Jump the red/yel and the blu/blk wires in the harness connector
              3. Turn on the key. Your headlight should work.
              4. If it doesn't, further diagnostics are required.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
              X