Hey gurus - how cold is cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey gurus - how cold is cold?

So I'm going to adjust another members valves sunday, but the ones I've done in the past have always been stone-cold. I was going to have him bring the bike over saturday night, so it would be cold when I adjust the valves. Problem is he lives about 25 miles away, so that's a lot of additional driving. I was debating just having him ride it over sunday, and putting a fan on the motor for an hour or so before shimming. So my question is this - how cold does the motor have to be to accurately adjust the valves?
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Doesn't have to be cold to the touch, just not so hot that you can't keep your hand on it. If you're tongue sticks to it, it's too cold.

Comment

If you're tongue sticks to it, it's too cold.
      Veeeeeery funny. Holy Christmas Story, Batman. LOL Thanks, Randy.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Last winter was a nightmare, still lingering here. A few good days lately and I've been riding to work this week, so that's good. I have to take the long way, I'm only 1 mi from the orifice. Glad you enjoyed the laugh

Comment

Doug, I'll make sure I ride fast on my way over so that the extra airflow cools the engine before I get there.
          I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
          3J6 003509
          Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
          Fuse Block Upgrade
          Mike's XS Green Coils
          Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            Doesn't have to be cold to the touch, just not so hot that you can't keep your hand on it. If you're tongue sticks to it, it's too cold.
            Always reassuring to know I'm not the only one who throws in some tongue when making out with my XS.
            1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Now EVERYBODY's a comedian - you guys should get an act together . LOL

Comment

Hey Doug, if you got your boroscope back yet, you can always use that to check how hot it is. (I can't get to the basment shop to check if it is still here) I know you have a test method using that.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Don - You know, I was just thinking yesterday that I'll probably never live that down. Thanks for confirming it .

For those of you who weren't there, Don was over at the mancave, and I was using my boroscope to look inside the cylinder of another member's bike. Don had never seen it before, and I was showing him how you look at your own eardrum with a boroscope. Never stopped to think about the temp inside that cylinder - evidently the end of the boroscope was a bit warm. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't stuck it in Don's ear .

Comment

I never mentioned anything specific Doug. I sit here laughing like mad as I think about it. Best laugh I've had in weeks, does not even hurt my ribs. Look at it this way Doug, after two years or there abouts, its all I got. You must be pretty dang good.

Sneezing is another story on the ribs though. No one bring a cold around me please!!!

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't stuck it in
                      Bet your glad Doug is not a proctologist

mro

Comment

LOL
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Ain't no man, doctor or otherwise, shovin nothing anywhere near that region of my country!!! But I did get a good laugh out of it!!!

Now, I did let the nurses cath me when I was in the hospital, but they tell me that does not count as cheating. It is amazing the amount of dignity you throw away when your in the hospital though. But the good drugs they give you make it all seem ok.

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Bet your glad Doug is not a proctologist
                            I don't know what it is about that boroscope, but people always muse about sticking it in the same place. The only attachments for the end are a magnet and an angled mirror, so unless somebody dropped their car keys there, it's probably not the tool you're looking for .

Comment

Working...
                            X