Clutch acting weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch acting weird

I took off my clutch cable at the engine(it was crudded up) and cleaned it put it back together, done, or so I thought, it would kill the engine as soon as I shifted it into first, like there wasn't enough clutch, I messd with the adjuster thingy(tech. term) at the motor, forever and at the lever too. I also notice a knockin sound in there now..wjhen you are releasing the clutch and in gear. The adjustment screw is all over too, I adj. it like a thread on here says in to touch and back off an eighth turn, secure nut. But I adjust and doesnt work and look at adj. screw again and it is really tight. like something in a bind. Before anyone says it...I know I should left it alone!! it worked. Thanks for any help.
    '79 XS 1100F

With the engine off and the bike in gear can you roll it with the clutch pulled in?
    When you let off the lever does the bike stop rolling?

The only thing I can think of that could go wrong with the clutch adjust procedure is if one of the "balls" fell out from the back side of the mechanism. You may have to pull the clutch cover off the bike and check it out, but don't do it yet someone may come along with a better suggestion.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

I am guessing one of the balls have fallen out. Thats the only reason I can think that you would have a knocking sound. You can put the bike on the side stand and take the cover off and check to see if they are in place.
      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

will I have to worry about trashing the gasket? should I have a gasket before I take off sidecover?
        '79 XS 1100F

Comment

You will most likely need a gasket after you take the cover off . You can also use many different types of a liquid gasket .
          BDF Special
          80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
          Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

my ballls, my balls.....

hey there perurider....your a hoosier and you lost your balls.....d*mnit man....ya can't do that.....here's where they are located.....

(backside of the clutch housing cover)
            if ya need help, search back on my name.....just did it and can offer advise if you need....ride hard, ride safe....ross
            rebel devil
            1979 xs 1100f standard
            authenic historical vehicle
            42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
            "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
            "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
            "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
            '96 venture cct.....installed!
            stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
            i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Originally posted by ross View Post
              hey there perurider....your a hoosier and you lost your balls.....d*mnit man....ya can't do that.....here's where they are located.....

(backside of the clutch housing cover)
              if ya need help, search back on my name.....just did it and can offer advise if you need....ride hard, ride safe....ross
              Someday I hope I can learn how to put those red arrows on the pics
              BDF Special
              80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
                Someday I hope I can learn how to put those red arrows on the pics
                Open the picture in the paint program and draw anything you would like and save it...
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                  Open the picture in the paint program and draw anything you would like and save it...
                  Thanks for that!!!!
                  BDF Special

Comment

clutch gasket

man, dont use that liquid gasket , before you know it it will be inside your engine blocking your oil passages, getting in your bearings or plugging up your oil pump screen ,like the one I just bought ,and had to rebuild .Do it right and buy a new gasket.Before you put it on put some lithium grease on both sides and then it wont stick if you have to remave it in the immediate future ,and therefore not rip and can be reused .By the way , if you take that cover off and the gasket doesnt rip reuse it.

Comment

new gasket a must....

hey there folks....took me 2 hours of beer, smokes, patience, gentle hand with the chisel to get the original off.....new gasket and blue rtv gasket sealer......sealed up like butter....let set 24 hours and go....

....ride hard, ride safe...ross
                      rebel devil
                      1979 xs 1100f standard
                      authenic historical vehicle
                      42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                      "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                      "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                      "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                      '96 venture cct.....installed!
                      stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                      i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

All that junk about RTV getting into everything is bunk in my opinion. I have used it on several auto engines in the past, even for a head gasket on one. Never found it anywhere I did not put it.

Now if you decide to cover the gasket surface with a 1/2" layer like making a peanut butter sandwhich and then squeezing it and bolt it up tight as your hand will pull before it even sets up, yeah you will get the crap everywhere in and out of the engine. But, not if you use it as directed.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                        X