Turn Signal Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal Problems

I have an XJ1100... and my turn signals just faded and stoped working. Changed all the regulators... the handle bar switch... checked all the wiring and they still don't work they seriously just faded out... One day working fine ... next day they where blinking slower... the day after that even slower... then nothing... just faded out.

Anyone have a clue as to what happened? I changed EVERYTHING attached to the turn signals...

Get yourself a Digital Multi-Meter and start checking things. You'll turn the knob to VDC - volts DC and put the black probe on the battery '-' terminal. Then start at the blinker with the red probe. Remove the bulb and touch the probe to the contact in the bottom of the socket with the blinker on - if the meter reads 12V then you've probably got a ground problem. If it doesn't then start working your way back up the harness until you find power.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Hate to ask it, but did you check the FUSE?!

DO you still have the old OEM fuseblock with glass fuses??
      They can look good, but be bad, as well as the tangs/clips that hold them weaken from corrosion, etc. and can actually break from the littlest of pressure! So..before checking at the bulb end, I'd check the fuse! JAT.

Also, you state "Regulators"? Did you mean the flash relay? You need to use a 2 prong replacement, and the XJ is wired a bit differently than an XS, and folks have reported having to switch the wires in the actual PLUG, one of the side ones with the center one, before a 2 prong flasher would work!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

They didnt just stop working.... they slowly stoped working... and yes i changed the relay numorous times... i'm not sure if it was a 3 prong or 2 prong relay... The other thing is the Hazards would work... but they soon faded after that too... just a ghost in the machine kinda thing...

Comment

It's not like a a total rookie to these bikes... My brother had a 81' XS850 Midnight Special, Father had a 80' XS850 Special, then he got a 81' XS1100, I had a 79' XS1100 Special... and now i got the 82' XJ1100 Maximum My Uncle had a 79' XS750, 2 of my friends had a 82' XS650 midnight special and a 80' XS750 Special, My other Uncle has a 80' XS1100 Midnight Special. I just cant get these turn Signals to work properly!

Comment

Hey Gary,

No aspersions are meant when we reply to "REQUESTS" for help/assistance. We just don't KNOW the level of experience or expertise from new members. And it's difficult to troubleshoot from the "NET"!

All of the other bikes you mentioned were XS's, and has been stated the XJ is a considerable different animal electrical wise.

The emergency flashers use a separate power source and separate flasher relay than the turn signals. IF they also died, then guess we need to DEFER to Psycho's suggestions of getting the DMM out and start tracing circuits.

Grounds are easily lost due to corrosion...the rears of the earlier Xs's used large washers around the mounting posts where the ground wires connected to, and would develop plenty of corrosion between the fender/frame and that washer. However, a quick reference to the fiche shows that the XJ changed that by making actual ground wire connections back to the wire harness instead of to the frame.

Perhaps the self cancelling relay is causing problems, don't know, but also don't think it would affect the emergency flasher circuit.

Both flasher relays are thermal and require lots of power draw thru them to work. Are you using OEM bulbs, or have you changed any of the bulbs to possibly lower wattage or even LED?

Good Luck hunting the problem.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think the factory "test" for the self canceler is to unplug it and see if the blinkers work - you could try that but the self canceler doesn't effect 4 way circuit I don't think. Does your horn work? If I remember correctly the horn gets its power from the same circuit as the flashers, if your horn doesn't work thats a clue that the problem is in the fuse area.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
              X