locking gas cap removalwithout key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locking gas cap removalwithout key?

hello everyone! many thanks for all the help i have gotten on this forum saved me hudreds of $$$ i finally tossed the octy got the fule filters spliced in turned the gas on and got her running i was like HOLY **** she sounded so sweet and perfect no sputters backfires cold pipes or anything.....then my night was ruined...i ran out of gas so i went off to get some and...wtf? damn! its a locking cap! i didnt notice it and i have no keys so would someone be so awsome as to explain to me how i can remove the sucker without the key? im buying a new ign and cap in a few weeks but i wanna road test now =(

thanks!
    -scott
    -xs1100 special
    -wife
    -daughter

Is it a standard or a special? The specials can be opened rather easily. Not sure about the standards...
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

oops srry its a 79 special
      -xs1100 special
      -wife
      -daughter

Comment

Info here...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...pening+gas+cap
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

thanks alot! got it open by pushing the capdown abit and wedging a steak knife between the latch and the latch rod! in goes the fuel! sadly i have to wait till tomorrow to try and get it running and go thru the gears with the wheel off the groud good night xsers
          -xs1100 special
          -wife
          -daughter

Comment

Originally posted by usmc_scott View Post
            hello everyone! many thanks for all the help i have gotten on this forum saved me hudreds of $$$ i finally tossed the octy got the fule filters spliced in turned the gas on and got her running i was like HOLY **** she sounded so sweet and perfect no sputters backfires cold pipes or anything.....then my night was ruined...i ran out of gas so i went off to get some and...wtf? damn! its a locking cap! i didnt notice it and i have no keys so would someone be so awsome as to explain to me how i can remove the sucker without the key? im buying a new ign and cap in a few weeks but i wanna road test now =(

thanks!
            -scott
            Hi Scott,
            if you have no keys you must have hotwired the bike to get it running?
            If your existing ign and gas cap are OK apart from the keys being missing, there should be a 4-digit number on the lock that will allow a proper locksmith to cut you new keys at far less cost than buying a new ign and cap.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Hi Scott,
              if you have no keys you must have hotwired the bike to get it running?
              If your existing ign and gas cap are OK apart from the keys being missing, there should be a 4-digit number on the lock that will allow a proper locksmith to cut you new keys at far less cost than buying a new ign and cap.
              I agree! Then you don't have to deal with the other 4 locks on the bike that all use the same key (left side cover, gas cap, chain lock, helmet lock).
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

slight hijack. . .

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                I agree! Then you don't have to deal with the other 4 locks on the bike that all use the same key (left side cover, gas cap, chain lock, helmet lock).
                Where's the chain lock? Never noticed it on my bike.
                1980 XS11SG
                Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
                  Where's the chain lock? Never noticed it on my bike.
                  Right side, just above the right driver's footpeg. There is a plastic container that the chain is stored in, and a post that is mounted to the frame. The lock snaps over that post. When you remove the chain, the other end of the chain has that same post on it, and you can lock the 2 ends of the chain together.

It is about as secure as the lightest bicycle lock, so not really worth much, but it works to deter honest thieves.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

The chain lock was an option. Not alot of the bikes had it from what I have seen, or alot of folks lost the lock and removed the holder. My bike has the holder, but no lock. I have never seen an XS or XJ with the lock yet.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      The chain lock was an option. Not alot of the bikes had it from what I have seen, or alot of folks lost the lock and removed the holder. My bike has the holder, but no lock. I have never seen an XS or XJ with the lock yet.
                      That explains why my bike doesn't have one. Thanks!
                      1980 XS11SG
                      Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                      Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                      ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

chain lock here

Hi,

I do have that lock, my neighbor saw it and neither one of us knew WTF it was, now I know and will investigate further. Thanks again, Channel 11 !!!
                        Bikes Now.
                        80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                        79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                        83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                        83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                        08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Pictures please!!! I would love to see one not from a brochure actually in place on the bike and removed to see the entire thing!! Kind of a just to see it kind of thing.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by yamtom View Post
                            Hi,

I do have that lock, my neighbor saw it and neither one of us knew WTF it was, now I know and will investigate further. Thanks again, Channel 11 !!!
                            Hi Tom,
                            my XS650 Heritage Special came with one of those.
                            Betcha thought it was a dog leash, eh? Though not for anything bigger than a spaniel.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                            X