blinkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blinkers

This is not a real important question but one that has me puzzled. The self canceling (sp?) turn signals on my xs 1100 special only work when it is above 85' I'm not sure I understand the why of this. I trust some of you that know the bikes better than I do will enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
    Ron Moss
    1979 xs 1100 yamaha special (sold)
    1984 honda v65 magna (sold)
    1984 vtr 250 intercepter
    1975 250 TL Honda
    2006 Kawsaki Concours
    1979 R100RT BMW

Hardly see "above 85" around here, but my signals do all sorts of strange things sometimes. Sometimes they self cancel, sometimes thay don't, sometimes they cancel before I actually turn, sometimes they don't even blink, just light and stay there. Sometimes the left one lights, sometimes the right. I just clean all the terminals in the wiring harness to the fairing, and clean the contacts on the rear bulbs and sockets, and everything is fine for a while. Then two or three months later it starts all over again. When they don't self cancel, I just do it my "self." When they don't blink, that's when I pull over and wipe the contact points.

Sometimes the thumb switch needs a little persuasion, also.

On the 78-81, the self-canceller works on time and distance. The white/green wire comes from the speedo, for the distance part. I would check and clean all the contacts.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Re: blinkers

The turn signal switch on the bars is supposed to be a "momentary" switch. The self canceller mechanism is built into the speedometer with a revolution counter. If the switch on the handlebars is gummed-up inside, it can make continuous contact. Try cleaning it. You really don't need to take it apart 100% if you spray enough contact cleaner in there.

Originally posted by Ron Moss
      This is not a real important question but one that has me puzzled. The self canceling (sp?) turn signals on my xs 1100 special only work when it is above 85' I'm not sure I understand the why of this. I trust some of you that know the bikes better than I do will enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: blinkers

Originally posted by skids
        The turn signal switch on the bars is supposed to be a "momentary" switch. The self canceller mechanism is built into the speedometer with a revolution counter. If the switch on the handlebars is gummed-up inside, it can make continuous contact. Try cleaning it. You really don't need to take it apart 100% if you spray enough contact cleaner in there.

If you do spray contact cleaner in the switch, follow it up with a generous squirt of silicone spray lube. I've found that regular use of silicone spray lube is all that's needed to keep the switches in good working order.

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
        X