2010 projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 projects

Finally fired up the 80 Special, last week, with the new #1 carb body on it.

It seems to be running really well, but #3 float is sticking a bit.

I'm hoping I can unstick it w/o taking the carbs off, again.

Aren't carbs fun?

Once that little bug is worked out, turning to the 78E. I may have a line on a seat for it. Once it's ridable i can test out how the carbs work with all the Suzuki parts in them!

My 79SF Donor bike may stay as a parts bike. Haven't decided yet if it will be worth pulling the head off. The bags can go on the 78, and it;s near mint pipes onto the 80SG.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Suzuki parts? <perks ears>

That sounds interesting. Is it for old, new, or both styles of carburetors or is that what you're testing?

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

kawasaki carbs

Shhhh.....Don't tell anyone but my bike in San Diego (Rising Sun) has a set of Kawasaki carbs on it - runs fine. The PO couldn't get his hands on any Yamaha carbs so he substituted and I have to say I can't really tell the difference except there is no choke lever.

John in San Antonio
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
        Shhhh.....Don't tell anyone but my bike in San Diego (Rising Sun) has a set of Kawasaki carbs on it
        Nooooo!!111 You can't do that! It'll 'splode without Yami carbs! <laughing>

Regards,

Scott
        -- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hello Crazcnuk, I'm down in Regina with some parts you might want to trade...have a look in the parts section and we will see what we can do. Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
          Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
          1978 XS 1100E
          Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
          K & N Air filter
          Home built forward controls
          Vulcan Mustang seat
          A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

I have the orignal carbs, but I used the slides, and diaphragms from a set of Suzuki BS34 carbs.

The Suzuki BS34 are partway between our 78 style and 80 style carbs, but use many of the same parts. However, they tune them way different.

I think these ones are off of a ~82 GS1000, or GS1100 but not sure.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Cool! I take it that the Suzuki slides are the same as the early style carbs since you used them for a '78E.

Regards,

Scott
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

Yes, the slides look to be the same. The old diaphrgams all had holes in them. I tried the Plasti-dip repair but the spray wouldn't harden. It just oozed all over the carb.

Suzuki uses way different (thickness) needles, but the length and position seem to be the same. I tried to find out the stock jetting for the suzuki carbs, as I have the whole set, but there doesn't seem to be any one setting. Each bike can vary widely in how they tuned them.

So far the carbs start good, idle fine, but I haven't been able to ride it, without a seat.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Plasti-dip didn't work for me either. They can't be too different since they're both BS34 carbs for liter (litre?) bikes but it'd be fun, FSVOF, to tune without the OEM baseline info.

Seat? Who needs a seat? Strap a pillow to the frame and take it out for a ride! You sit a little lower but bumps are more exciting!

Regards,

Scott
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

Naw, do it the redneck way and put a piece of plywood on there and put a couch cushion on top of that and ride. Make sure to bungee cord it down really tight thought just in case.

Make sure to hand your beer to someone watching and say "watch this"
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      Naw, do it the redneck way and put a piece of plywood on there and put a couch cushion on top of that and ride. Make sure to bungee cord it down really tight thought just in case.

Make sure to hand your beer to someone watching and say "watch this"
                      He thinks I was kidding....

No plywood yet but this was two years ago when I first put on the 750 final drive and the seat wasn't back from being re-covered by B&H out in Texas:-

"The U-Joint Works" from "Better XS11 u-joint for 750 final drive"

Not a beer in sight but I was riding!

Regards,

Scott
                      -- Scott
                      _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                        He thinks I was kidding....

No plywood yet but this was two years ago when I first put on the 750 final drive and the seat wasn't back from being re-covered by B&H out in Texas:-

"The U-Joint Works" from "Better XS11 u-joint for 750 final drive"

Not a beer in sight but I was riding!

Regards,

Scott
                        I would still use the plywood to give a solid flat surface under the cushion. I was somewhat serious before the beer part, and I would trim down the cushion, but couch cushion material is closer to seat foam than a pillow is. You could make a pretty decent emergency seat with some plywood and a couch cushion, and you still need to fasten it down so it doesn't move around on you in the corners.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I tried plywood later, before DiverRay loaned me a real seat until mine found its way home from Texas.

The plywood actually didn't work out so well because the plain pillow 'sat' better in the frame and it was more comfortable. It didn't really need to be tied down unless I stood up on the freeway so I put a couple of bungee cords over it. I did have to put something under the front to keep it out of the snorkel. I don't remember what it was right now but that was the only problem, really.

Well, that and it looked totally stupid... but it worked.

Regards.,

Scott
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

Working...
                          X