pick up gap or coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick up gap or coils?

Hi Guys, Here's the delema... after my bike has warmed up (30 or so miles), I lose my roll off. At stop signs and lights I have to play with the clutch and throttle until it stops stuttering/stammering and feeling like it is running on 2 cylinders, then once over 2000 or so rpm it wants to take off like a "raped ape" . Last year at "the Big Island Deuce" the general concensus was carbs, and they were maticulously gone over, cleaned, colour tuned, and mercury sticked. But... the gremlin is still there!
    I'm swapping out the coils today, as electrical resistances can vary with heat, but I just read a link about pick up coil gaps and am now going hmmmmm!

Any suggestions from the Guruhs are greatly appreciated!
    Glen Gorringe
    Port Alberni, B.C.
    "The worst day riding is still better than the best day working!"
    '81 LH "HoRee Cow"
    '83 XJ "Horse Trade"

Maybe the vacuum advance unit? Stick until enough vacuum overcome the sticking then 'po'...it advances?
    Just a thought. Take the timing cover off and watch the advance movement.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Well Glen, it's either spark, air or gas

Perhaps the idle circuit? As mentioned, I'd revisit the pickup coil wires. Are you absolutely sure it is heat related?
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Thanks Mike and Pat, but...

Hi Guys, thanks for the input but it is only after 20 minutes of driving, and it will still idle and start fine. It's just going from idle up to 2000 or so rpm. After which she runs great!

advance works great, I just finished changing the coils over from the XJ and will have to go for a burn later.

Glen Gorringe
        Port Alberni, B.C.
        '81 LH "HoRee Cow"
        '83 XJ "Horse Trade"

Comment

Just maybe

I had a similar thing on my xj, it got progressivly worse . You might wanna try some gas line antifreeze or methal hydrate as it was water in my gas . Sounds stupid i know but it cured mine, just a thought.
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold
          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

changed coils/went for a burn

....went for a burn last night, with the other set of coils in. The midnight started fine, idled fine, and went like a raped ape!
            1/2 hour later we were in start and stop traffic and the old girl didn't hesitate once! So now I think I'll try to find a set of Dyna's or Accel . Pat K. I know you did this for the $60 Gem, Who, What, How much? I may need to send some money across the 49th, and have someone mail me a set as "a gift", cause they are waaaay too expensive here! We only have one bike shop in town, and he makes everything worth his while!

Glen Gorringe
            Port Alberni, B.C.
            '81 LH "HoRee Cow"
            '83 XJ "Horse Trade"

Comment

Working...
            X