Piston rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston rings

I would like to get some new piston rings. What options are there. I was thinking I could maybe get some 1st over and grind the ends to fit. Seems I heard some noise about that here, but I can't find the thread.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

According to the online Yamaha supplier, the standard ring set (2H7-11610-02) is available for $50 a piston. Same with the 1st. and 2nd. O.S. sets.

http://www.yamahaaccy.com/parts.aspx

There's a bunch of ring threads if you search "Hastings". There might be a cheaper alternative.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 04-05-2010, 01:25 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey Dick,

If I were going to plunk down that kind of change for just rings, I'd go ahead and put in a little big bore kit! You get new pistons, rings, wristpins, head gasket for a bit over twice the cost of rings alone! And you still have another bore option after you wear that set out!

Don't know if you've already torn down the engine and miked it for wear limits or not?? Might find that it's beyond honing range anyways??

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey Dick,
        I replaced a piston this winter and also replaced all the rings. I used 1st
        over rings and filed the ends for clearance.
        I think Crazcnuk did this before also and said he couldn't use the oil rings due to them being a different radius.I think he said his still uses some oil.IIRC
        I did use the oil rings and filed ends accordingly and have no problems.I have good compression and no smoking.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
          I would like to get some new piston rings. What options are there. I was thinking I could maybe get some 1st over and grind the ends to fit. Seems I heard some noise about that here, but I can't find the thread.
          Planedick, nice riding with you and GarthXS!

Crazcnuk had a thread about that; maybe too much information in it and no clear resolution:-

fun with rings.

I don't like the idea of oversize rings and standard pistons/bores but I measured my old set of rings with 39K on them and a new set of STD rings.

The new rings were actually slightly smaller than the old rings. Going with a light hone and 1st oversize rings might work if the cylinder/piston clearances are good and you can get the end gaps set.

There's a guy on eBay selling XS1100 rings for ~$40.00 for four sets. Caveat emptor.

Regards,

Scott
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Been there, done that..

Hey Planedick, check this thread starting here http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...7&postcount=37, click the Piston Rings link in the top right corner and you'll find a supplier that has alternatives much cheaper than OEM's. A lot of time and effort has been put into this already and it should be collated into a tech tip or faq or something. I'll have a few months spare shortly so I might write something up and submit it.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yes, I think i could have used the 1st over oil rails as well, it was the expander that would have been difficult.

At the time it didn't occur to me to use the old expander with new, filed rails. It was late, I was in a hurry, etc

The compression rings were no trouble at all. Just have to file the end gap to where you want. Used to have to do that with almost all rings.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
              X