Update, lubricated airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update, lubricated airbox

Well after cleaning the air filter (Uni) and the spark plugs, the old horse seems to be running better. I can only surmise that I over oiled the element and it settled in the air box. While I was was at it, I finally put the new spark plug caps I bought over a month ago in. Made a big difference in idle quality and off idle performance. Tonight I will break out my new Motion carb syc setup and see how far off they are. I also think taking the "long" way home last night helped. About an extra 20 miles of interstate, high speed (80-90mph) riding. I guess XS's dont like to be cruised back and forth to work every day. Tanks for the help guys, for a while there I thought it was time for a new bike, (naw!!!). BTW, there has been a 78 standard in the paper here for a couple of weeks now, asking 900 OBO, still had as of last night. Think I will cruise over and see whats up with that one.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Seems these bikes get really pissed off if you putt them around doing 30 or 40. They only seem happy running hard through the gears or rapping on the throttle in 5th on the freeway. Park it for 3 months and see how pissed it gets at you then....

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I GOT LOTSA BOTTOM

Hmmm, my bike has so much low end I don't downshift thru town at all . I just love the sound of it down there! Then when I hit the open road I can't wait to let those ponies loose. Maybe you just don't have it quite there yet!
      Garry
      '79 SF "Battle Cat"
      outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

I'm pretty sure I don't have mine "there" yet. It has always had one problem after another. If I had the money, I'd replace and restore everything. I'm sure I'd benefit from a reliable ignition system, like new coils and leads, new battery, and also an exhaust replacement, head fix for 60psi compression, and a big bore kit. $$$$$$$$$$

Ben
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
        X