Problem with peacocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with peacocks

So I might have a slightly different issue with my peacocks than the normal failure (leaking/plugged up). First, a bit of background...

The bike is a 79 Standard, so it has the vacuum peacocks without the octopus of the Specials. Many years ago, I did have a leaking problem on the peacocks, so I installed rebuild kits in both of them at that time. As far as I know, they were working perfectly at that time, I can not remember if I tested the reserve, but I KNOW I had to have hit it any number of times over the last 12 years or so!

At this time, they work about 67%. Basically, the normal vacuum operation works perfectly for both of them. Prime works perfectly for both of them. But only one of them works in the reserve position. Given how small the tanks are, this is kind of a pain...

Any suggestions where to look? Plugged port? Selector put in backwards (is that even possible on these bikes?) Other ideas?

On a only slightly related issue, my new jets from Mikes XS showed up today, so I'll be pulling the carbs again for a jet change. I'll probably clean them out again while I have them pulled just to make SURE all the passages are clean, even though I just went through them in January.

Right now, I know the bike is running a bit lean on top. The bottom was lean until I richened it up with the pilot mixture screws as well. It has a definite "hitch" in the transition between the pilot circuit and the main jets between 5000 and 5500 rpm. Stepping up a main jet size should help me get this dialed in a bit better.
    Last edited by clcorbin; 03-31-2010, 09:03 PM. Reason: Cleaning up the text
    -- Clint
    1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

I am certainly no expert but I have been told the the towers on the inside of the tank have a cap on them. If that cap has been disturbed it eliminates the towers ability to peform the reserve feature. Someone with a sure answer will chime in shortly.

Comment

These things are not a stock itm on ANY of the XS models that I am aware of!

Or were you referring to PETcocks?

The petcocks have a round rubber gasket behind the knob that can get old and cracked, and not really follow directions well. Try removing the knob and look at the rubber valve. If that's not the issue, try removing the petcock from the tank and cleaning out the screen. It may be clogged. You might want to remove the vacuum valve and make sure it's clean to while you're at it.

One other thing - the switch between idle jets and main jets happens at between 2k and 2500rpm. NOT at 5k-5500rpm.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
        The bike is a 79 Standard, It has a definite "hitch" in the transition between the pilot circuit and the main jets
        Make sure all your slide needle clips are in the center position while you're inside the carbs.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post

The petcocks have a round rubber gasket behind the knob that can get old and cracked, and not really follow directions well. Try removing the knob and look at the rubber valve. If that's not the issue, try removing the petcock from the tank and cleaning out the screen. It may be clogged. You might want to remove the vacuum valve and make sure it's clean to while you're at it.

One other thing - the switch between idle jets and main jets happens at between 2k and 2500rpm. NOT at 5k-5500rpm.
          Thanks Bug for a perfect balance of HUMOUR and Information.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

manual replacement

1978-84 XS650's have the same vacuum petcock as the XS1100 standard. Mike's XS has manual replacements, but you probably knew that.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I knew I should have Googled that... But hey! You left the "e" out of "item"!
              -- Clint

Comment

SOMETHING lean is sure going on at 5k-5500 rpm! Up and down. I DO Know that opening the pilot screw on each carb 1/2 turn really dialed in the idle/low speed mixture AND improved (but did not fix) the issue at 5k-5500 rpm, so it does impact it to some extent.
                -- Clint

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  Make sure all your slide needle clips are in the center position while you're inside the carbs.
                  I did that when I went through them in January. As it was originally, they needles where in different positions on different carbs!
                  -- Clint

Comment

I went around and around with Betsy's petcocks, and finally just s-canned them and installed partsnmore manuals and never looked back. You have to remember to turn them on and off, but they don't leak and they give you a very positive fuel shut-off.

On your carb jetting - what kind of mods do you have?
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I was thinking about getting a couple of these instead of the rebuild kits, might be cheaper...
                      1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                      2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

I want to see you try to ride them . Reminds me of the old joke - why did the pervert cross the road? Cause his thing was stuck in the chicken.
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I was thinking about getting a couple of these instead of the rebuild kits, might be cheaper...
                          I know several people that own lots of those... and trust me... you'll get several rebuild kits before you'll get one of those. lol.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

When we were first married, my wife said she wanted to see a cock fight, so I took her to one. When we got there she said, "What the hell? These are CHICKENS!"
                            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                              When we were first married, my wife said she wanted to see a cock fight, so I took her to one. When we got there she said, "What the hell? These are CHICKENS!"
                              I have to assume your wife was not raised on a farm then...
                              -- Clint

Comment

Working...
                              X