turn signal flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn signal flasher

Is the turn signal flasher under the right side cover? I hear it click when I try and activate turn signals.

Is there a store bought replacement?

Three prongs?

Yes.

Yes.

2 prong, not 3 prong.

Check your grounds first, they get corroded and will prevent the flasher from working properly.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks I did redo grounds new eylets on both. Alkso replaced old turn signals
      with new bullet types of high quality. Removed front turn signals. Both new turn signals light brightly but do not blink
      Last edited by roll-me-away; 03-27-2010, 06:52 PM.

Comment

The stock unit is a load type flasher, it will not work without both front and rear blinkers. I has to have the load from 2 bulbs in order to make it blink. If you don't want to run front signals, or want to use led's get an electronic 2 prong flasher and plug it in.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Do you mean an automotive flasher such as a 552 (two prong)

Comment

yeah, just make sure its "electronic" if you plan to use LED's.
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

I just visited this again Saturday. Had a bad ground I thought, turned out to be grounds AND a bad connection inside the lamp of the front turn signal. Plus I pulled the left turn signal switch apart and cleaned everything in there. The signals have never worked so good!
              Point being, the flasher will buzz if voltage is being drained off to some other part of the bike. So even though you may put a different flasher in it may not be your problem.
              I'm hoping what I just did lasts! Mine had gotten so bad that sometimes pulling the front brake lever would hit the voltage hard enough to stop the engine! Scary.
              Bothell, WA
              1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Been there, done that.

Originally posted by roll-me-away View Post
                Is the turn signal flasher under the right side cover? I hear it click when I try and activate turn signals. Is there a store bought replacement?
                Three prongs?
                Hi roll-me,
                the stock 3-prong flasher unit will only work if everything as all clean and connected and it's loaded to 54Watts (2 x 27W stock flasher bulbs)
                You can buy a new one from the Yamaha store at an appallingly high cost (I was quoted ~$87 five years ago)
                Or you can substitute an ~$10 automotive 2-prong electronic flasher. This will work lower wattage lamps but won't work the self canceller.
                The only way to keep the self-canceller is to use the stock flasher which means having to use two 27W bulbs.
                Note that a 2-prong plugs into the 3-way socket 2 ways. One way works and the other don't.
                Automotive 3-prong flashers are wired differently and won't work at all.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X