Using Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Oil

I use roughly 1/2 to a full quart every thousand miles. I know a little drips from my neutral switch (maybe more than I think?) but its hard to judge because it drips onto the exhaust, and is usually burned off before dripping. So, I don't notice any XSive smoke from the exhaust, and what is there isn't really colored. So, maybe just normal to a little above normal wear for 47k?
    80sg "Reaper"

losing oil

At the risk of starting the first OIL thread on the new venue,
    what kind of oil are you using?

You could be leaking some, but doubt that that amount
    would drip away externally without leaving Harleyesque
    puddles on the floor.

If it's getting burned instead of dripping, a leak down
    test would steer you in the right direction. (narrow down
    whether it was valves or rings)

Done a compression test?

I have 35k on the XJ, it doesn't lose any. Know of others
    with more than 47k who don't burn it up.

(I use Castrol GTX 20-50, Delvac, Rotella, and in the
    past Castrol Syntec - can highly recommend all of them)
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I use Rotella, haven't done the compression check yet. Was going to, but the weather was warm, my bike was apart and I was itchin to get it back together. Also, no gauge. I will do it one of these days. Right now I'm not too annoyed by it, so I will monitor it for changes, and keep fillin it up. Thanks!
      80sg "Reaper"

Comment

I use more than that (probably a full quart in 1000) miles of around town (many on and off cycles) but if I am on the highway I can do 500 miles with out using any oil. So I am thinking that I lose most of my oil in the warm up cycle. I also get the worst milage out of the first tank of gas in a day on the road. I use Castol semi-synth 20W-50. Bike has 86K on it. I think I have a combination of wear (rings, cams, valves, etc.) that all contribute to bad mileage and oil consumption. Last time I checked I did have on cylinder that was low (maybe 115 and rest were 140-145) but I had both valves too tight on that cylinder and have not checked it since valves were done.

So is half a quart in 1000 miles OK? I would say yes, oil is cheap, engine work is not.

Gary
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Good logic (oil cheap, engine work not), and I do suppose a lot of my riding IS in town, though I don't do a lot of stopping and starting. Thanks!
          80sg "Reaper"

Comment

I strictly only use Castrol 20/50 as recommended in the manual, and am one of the fortunate ones in this group who does not have to add any oil between changes(Hope this lasts forever!). The only drip I have is from the cam chain tensioner, and am going to fix that, and don't burn any either. I hear alot of discussion about clunky shifting on these bikes with certain oils, but so far so good with the Castrol... FFT....
            Dennis - aka - Skinny Biker
            Courtenay, B.C.
            1981 XS 11 SH

Comment

Using oil

My XJ (about 42K miles) uses about 2/3 quart every 1500 miles when I am pulling the trailer, quite a bit less in solo riding. Most of the miles are long trip, freeway speed miles; I don't use the bike a lot in commuting. Oil is Rotella 15W - 40.

I've mentioned this before, but my oil consumption is decreasing as I put more miles on the bike. Really think the PO didn't run it enough and the oil control rings may have been sticking, or maybe gunk was built up on the rings/piston/cylinder walls. Don't know, but when I first started running the bike in 2000, first trip pulling the trailer used a quart in 660 miles!

Couple products come up from time to time: SeaFoam is one, Yamaha has their own stuff as well. Designed to clean rings, is aimed more at oil burning outboard engines but seems to work well in our bikes. Available at marine houses and many auto parts stores. You may want to try some and see if it helps reduce your oil consumption, or just ride the heck out of your bike!
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I think I remember some threads on the list about Seafoam. Did anyone ever get an update on the guy that put in some Restore for 4 cyl? I don't think I remember reading about his results.
                80sg "Reaper"

Comment

I am going to use the 4 cylinder restorer in my 81 SH. I will probably put it in ths weekend. After the oil change,,,,mine has been using 2/3 to 3/4 of a quart per 1000-1500 miles, and only the one leak,the cam tesnioner,and thats an after ride drip only. I ride the Special everyday, mostly highway. I will post some results after the next change. I run 300- 500 miles a week, so it won't be long.
                  Ken Krieger
                  Chesterfield, Va.
                  81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                  82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                  82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                  79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                  1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                  85 XJ700 Maxim
                  06 VMax - Black Max
                  85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

I know this sounds strange, but the Beast went through a lot of oil in 1987 and it was worse the faster I rode. I was using Mobil 1 pure synthetic. At one point, it went through nearly a quart in a tankful!!! I checked it on the center stand on level ground. I quit using pure syn after my clutch change. On the way to the Arkansas rally, years later, it used almost no oil the whole trip from Denver and back. I can't explain it, but it made me happy as hell! BTW, there was no gas in the oil to make up the difference. I was using Castrol Synblend.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                    X