No announcement yet.

chain to shaft transfer case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was missing your point all right. I missed the layout you were using up front. Remember the earlier Morgan 3-wheelers that had a V-Twin up front? That’s what I had in mind.

I have a parts bike with a little frame damage and I plan to use the entire rear section on my 3-wheeler. I’m not sure what I’m going to use for the front suspension but I’ll figure it out. I saw one 3-wheeler done with a Guzzi 850 and the guy managed to mount old Honda 750 front wheels to a VW beetle front end. I may have pix somewhere but it would be a stretch after all these years. If you do a search on Morgan 3-Wheeler you will see a few of the kind that I’m planning to make but I haven’t seen one done with an XS11 power plant.

Back to your project, shaft drive bikes with the crankshaft setting for and aft in the frame (Goldwing, Guzzi, BMW…) will have the shaft on the right. Bike with a transverse engine like the XS11 almost always have it on the left.

An early Goldwing rear drive may solve your drive problem. If you go with spokes rather than a mag wheel, consider sending the wheel to Buchanan’s frame and wheel shop for some sidecar duty spokes.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Hey there Doc,

Glancing thru my book of American MC's thru the ages, there are many examples of Harley rear wheels with the chain drive sprocket on the right side, from the 50's thru the 80's. Buell has their drive on the right side also. So....you should be able to find a spoked wheel with chain drive for the right side fairly easily via some bone yards?? Good luck.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

IT 250 YAMAHA dirt bike had right side sprocket and spokes in the mid 80's. I think some huskeys did too. Better be ready for bad brakes and loose spokes tho. How about use ALL XS11 stuff and when you need reverse let everybody do like the Flintstones!! ROTFLMAO
        Garry
        '79 SF "Battle Cat"
        outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Fusionking -
          The front two wheels will have discs that should be adequate for 90% of the braking. It I can get another 10% from some old drum brake on the rear wheel, it'll do. BTW, the front two wheels will be wires, too.

Geezer -
          I know the Morgans you're referring to. I'm just starting with an inline watercooled four-banger because I have several Triumph Spitfire parts cars sitting around and I think one of them should become a trike. If I had an old air cooled VW, I suppose I'd be planning to build a bike-fronted trike with VW differential in the rear.

M D "Doc" Nugent
          http://www.carcentric.com

Comment

Originally posted by docnugent

Geezer -
            I know the Morgans you're referring to. I'm just starting with an inline watercooled four-banger because I have several Triumph Spitfire parts cars sitting around and I think one of them should become a trike. If I had an old air cooled VW, I suppose I'd be planning to build a bike-fronted trike with VW differential in the rear.

M D "Doc" Nugent
            http://www.carcentric.com
            I'd never build a two rear wheeled trike. The balance is awful on those and they tend to swap ends during heavy braking.

Anyway, regardless of how you build it, I'm sure it will be a fun project. I liked the VW beam up front because it's a self-contained front suspension unit. There are plenty of chain and shaft options that drive on the right side. You just have to look around a little.

Geezer

Comment

Geez -
              The VW front end is an advantage if you can build a frame yourself, but check out how the Spitfire frame narrows to a waist - like it was designed to be a trike!
              http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross/FrmComparison.html

M D N

Comment

Geez -
                The VW front end is an advantage if you can build a frame yourself, but check out how the Spitfire frame narrows to a waist - like it was designed to be a trike!
                http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross/FrmComparison.html

M D N
                I see what you mean and I really like that Triumph front end.

What would be really cool would be some of those knock off whire wheels like the used on the old TR3s.

I am planning to build my own frame and I'm not sure I even want body work on mine. I might start by cutting the front end of some other frame but it's all way down the road for me. I have too many other projects between here and there.

Geezer

Comment

I have a set of TR3 wire wheels (15"x4", 48 spokes, painted rather than chromed) and a set of Spitfire wire wheels (13"x4.5", 60 spokes, also painted). The bolt circle of the Spitfire is 4 on 3.75" while the TR3 used 4 on 4.5" but I think the splined adapters for the TR3 wire wheels can be "double drilled" with the smaller bolt circle so the TR3 wheels could be used on a Spitfire. I plan on using the Spitfire wires on the trike since they would result in less ground clearance and better grip.

I recently saw a Roadstercycle (http://www.roadstercycle.com/Dsc00913.jpg) and find that approach is appealing in its construction simplicity - it wouldn't really need as much bodywork as it has.

Any ideas how to attach cycle fenders to the Spitfire front uprights? I think fenders might be required in this state (Washington).

MDN

Comment

Sorry but the rear wheel I was talking about was an IT200 not a 250. I would try to find the biggest, fattest, o-ring chain I could make work
                    Garry
                    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

I have a set of TR3 wire wheels (15"x4", 48 spokes, painted rather than chromed) and a set of Spitfire wire wheels (13"x4.5", 60 spokes, also painted). <snip>

I recently saw a Roadstercycle (http://www.roadstercycle.com/Dsc00913.jpg) and find that

Any ideas how to attach cycle fenders to the Spitfire front uprights? I think fenders might be required in this state (Washington).

MDN
                      I think either set of those front wheels would look great and you can have whatever rear you use powerd coated to match.

I couldn't get that url to work.

On the front fenders. As I see it you have another choice, either frame mounted or to move with the wheel. Frame mounting is easy (see any of the old hotrods or the Prowler.) To make them move with the wheel, you'll have to fab some mounts that bolt to the back the spindle and run struts up the inside of the wheel.

A project like this will have lots of fabrication but that what makes it fun. ;o)

Geezer
                      Last edited by Geezer; 08-12-2003, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I think Roadstercycle changed web hosts - their index page is back up though:
                        http://www.roadstercycle.com/

MDN

Comment

I think Roadstercycle changed web hosts - their index page is back up though:
                          http://www.roadstercycle.com/

MDN
                          There's no way in hell you'd get me on that beast.

Geezer

Comment

But . . .

Mine would only have an old school, 70hp British four-banger, so excessive speed wouldn't kill.

You'd rather have the Morgan's side-by-side seating and the illusion of side protection from a sheet of 0.028" thick aluminum?

MDN
                            Last edited by docnugent; 08-12-2003, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Re: But . . .

Mine would only have an old school, 70hp British four-banger, so excessive speed wouldn't kill.

You'd rather have the Morgan's side-by-side seating and the illusion of side protection from a sheet of 0.028" thick aluminum?

MDN
                              I'd rather have the low center of gravity and bolstered seating of the traditional Morgan. Not to mention the classic styling.

Geezer

Comment

Working...
                              X