XJ owners please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ owners please help

ok so i got l.e.d. blinkers, seem to be causing problems... i HAVE a electrical blinker 2 prong switch (that the forum tech pages said) and here is what happens. hit the signal on and front, rear, and cluster light up and stay solid. so no flashing... BUT if i turn the hazards on the signals flash correctly....

so signal = not flashing but solid
    hazard =work properly.

what am i missing?
    What you need to do is be thankful for the life you got. Stop looking at what you dont have and start being thankful for what you do have.

82 XJ 1100

Did you do a search on led blinkers?
    I remember a bunch of talk about what was keeping them from running. I remember reading it but can't remember when or where.
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

The hazard and turn signals have separate flashers. You can use a regular flasher in the system but it will eliminate the self-canceling feature.
      Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

oh yea, you might need a load equalizer (or something to that effect) as the voltage drop might not trigger you flasher so it acts like a bulb is burned out and not flash as not enough current is being drawn to trigger the flasher.
        Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Originally posted by justme1100 View Post
          oh yea, you might need a load equalizer (or something to that effect) as the voltage drop might not trigger you flasher so it acts like a bulb is burned out and not flash as not enough current is being drawn to trigger the flasher.
          The problem is the LEDs don't draw enough current to heat up the bi-metal strip inside the flasher. A 'load equalizer' is nothing more than a resistor of the right value connected in parallel with the lights to 'fool' the flasher into thinking you have regular lamps. So you need a 6 ohm resistor for each LED light, or a 3 ohm if you have LEDs front and rear. Get one rated for at least 25 watts.

'78E original owner
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

+1 w/ CrazySteve.

Probably not enough draw to make it flash.

I added a LED flasher recently on the 2 big LED trunk Lights I had, so they'd flash when I hit the brakes, only to find they wouldn't flash... asked for advice around here... and decided to add 1 1157 bulb in the circuit to add more load... that did the trick.

Also, don't forget, sometimes the bike needs to be running, and above 1500 rpm to produce enough charge to make them flash, too.
            However, once I added the 1 1157 load to the circuit, mine will flash now even w/ the bike not running, just the key on.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              The problem is the LEDs don't draw enough current to heat up the bi-metal strip inside the flasher. A 'load equalizer' is nothing more than a resistor of the right value connected in parallel with the lights to 'fool' the flasher into thinking you have regular lamps. So you need a 6 ohm resistor for each LED light, or a 3 ohm if you have LEDs front and rear. Get one rated for at least 25 watts.

'78E original owner
              He shouldn't need any load with an electronic flasher. IMHO the whole idea of going to LED's is to reduce the load, if you add a resistor your right back where you started, no energy savings. I've got an electronic flasher in my xs and it flashes, even with no bulbs attached.

TBC, if you wanted to try the load idea, swap out one of your LED signals for the stock unit and see if it flashes on that side but not the other.

I however think there is something else going on, I just don't know enough about XJ's to troubleshoot without the bike.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

TBC....
                Something you said in your PM got me thinking....
                If you turn on the 4-ways the lights flash.
                If you turn on the blinkers, they come on solid
                You said your flasher plug only had 2 wires....

Are you sure you replaced the correct flasher with the new electronic one?

To test, unplug your new electronic flasher, now try the 4-ways, if they don't work, but the regular blinkers still come on solid, then you've plugged your new electronic flasher into the wrong harness connector.

According to the wiring diagram you should have 2 flashers, one for the 4 ways and 1 for the regular blinkers. The one for the 4-ways is a 2 wire plug, the one for the regular blinkers is a 3 wire plug.

Best I can tell from the manual, the hazard relay is under the seat and the flasher relay is on the Right side, under the side cover. On xs's its just below the fuse box but not sure on an XJ...

That is my best idea at the moment!

It should be noted here, because of the 2 flasher system all the xs/xj's with 4 way flashers need to replace 2 different flashers with new electronic ones to maintain the ability to use the 4 ways.
                Last edited by psycoreefer; 03-26-2010, 10:13 AM.
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

yes i checked its on the left side of the bike next to the battery. i will get pics today.
                  What you need to do is be thankful for the life you got. Stop looking at what you dont have and start being thankful for what you do have.

82 XJ 1100

Comment

the on on the left is your hazard

if your are sitting on the bike, and on the right is your regular flasher
                    91 kwaka kz1000p
                    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

sitting on bike flasher is on left

82 XJ 1100

Comment

wrong flasher, keep looking, there are two flashers on your bike. Do as I suggested, pull the new flasher from the two prong plug and see if your hazard flashers still work. Then see if your blinker still comes on solid. Which ever one doesn't work is the one that flasher plug goes too.
                        1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                        [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by tbcfreerider View Post
                          sitting on bike flasher is on left
                          That is the 4-way flasher. You need to replace the regular flasher as well.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

The regular flasher is the silver cylinder zip-tied on to the frame on the right side of this picture. (thanks Cobia )

1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

wow i didnt see it , it was tucked behind my fuse box.... well after the 2 hr project, i got them install working , taken off and stock one back on... just changing the switch made the stock ones bright as hell... thanks to ALL for your help.

82 XJ 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X