• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Shim help

So I finally took some measurements on my valves. here are the results:

1 2 3 4

E .127 .178 .127 .178

I .063 .076 .102 .076

My question is, what should they be and how far off am I right now. Could this be the cause of excess smoke in 1 or 2? I still need to go through the carbs but I thought I would check the valves before I get to that point. Thanks guys I know this has been beat to death but I can't find the stock clearances when using the search feature.

Also does anyone have a spare front caliper piston for cheap? Cheapest I found was $26. The one I have was frozen and pitted pretty bad. I assume if I use the pitted one I risk the chance of it leaking...
    1978 xs1100

Are those the valve clearance numbers or the shim sizes? If those are the clearance numbers that's a lot of clearance. If you find one of CatatonicBugs posts, he has the manuals available from download through a link to his website in his posts. Be aware, they are rather large, but they have all the information in there.

Also, in order to know what to tell you, we need to know what year and model, as they differ. But in either case if those are the gap, I think that's too much clearance.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

These are the clearances....
      1978 xs1100

Comment

Okay so I found the clearances
        E .21-.25mm
        I .16-.20 mm

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I need more clearance on Intake and Exhaust.
        1978 xs1100

Comment

Here's the easiest way to check valve clearance, IMHO. Going to be using inches here, not mm.

Intake: .006"-.008"
          Exhaust: .008"-.010"

First, measure your clearances in inches with the engine cold and write them down. If they are in the range, you're fine. If they are off, remove the shim and look at the number on the bottom side. Each increment of shim size is .002" in thickness. For example, if one of your intake valve measures .005" and the shim says 280 on it, you'll need one size smaller shim to open the gap up to .007" which would be a 275 shim. This is the way I check valve clearances, it's dead on accurate and no charts to fool with. HTH
          Last edited by bikerphil; 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas. Still looking for a caliper piston if there are any floating around. I may just break down and buy one.
            1978 xs1100

Comment

I saw a guy on Ebay making and selling stainless steel ones... that would be your best bet. I'm sure someone has one, but it will be steel that's been exposed for 30 years now. Probably good enough to work still... but???

And Phil...

First, measure your clearances in inches with the engine cold and write them down. If they are in the range, you're fine. If they are off, remove the shim and look at the number on the bottom side. Each increment of shim size is .002" in thickness. For example, if one of your intake valve measures .005" and the shim says 280 on it, you'll need one size smaller shim to open the gap up to .007" which would be a 275 shim. This is the way I check valve clearances, it's dead on accurate and no charts to fool with. HTH
              Prometheus says this is easier for him also... just never understood why you need to convert to standard? I can count by fives just as easy as counting by twos?

Just my 2 cents.

Tod
              Last edited by trbig; 03-26-2010, 05:48 AM.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod, I'm not doing any converting at all. Just taking an easy measurment ex: .013" take away 2 at a time while counting on your fingers would be 3 shim sizes larger to get a gap of .007. All simple math with small numbers, no converting. I don't use the shim size as a metric measurement, only a reference number. I did learn this from Prom's posts BTW, much easier for me. It was a tad confusing at first but now it's a no brainer.
                Last edited by bikerphil; 03-26-2010, 06:41 AM. Reason: math error, lol
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  I saw a guy on Ebay making and selling stainless steel ones... that would be your best bet. I'm sure someone has one, but it will be steel that's been exposed for 30 years now. Probably good enough to work still... but???
                  That would be this thread:http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...+brake+pistons

I got and installed my set and couldn't be more pleased. No more rust for me...

'78E original owner
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Maybe I missed if you told us your year of bike, but the valve clearance specs changed in '80. On 79's and older the clearance is 0.16 - 0.20mm, starting in '80 the valve clearance changed to 0.11 - 0.15mm. This is assuming your bike is an XS1100 and not an XJ, I wouldn't know the difference if that is the case.
                    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                      Okay so I found the clearances
                      E .21-.25mm
                      I .16-.20 mm
                      Yard Dogg, I asked him and he really didn't say what year, but he listed the above clearances which would be for the early 78-9 XS head. We probably got him all confused with the different ways of measuring.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Yeah, I think you confused the hell out of me! I use a metric go-no-go feeler gauge and the chart. Does that mean I'm a geek?

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                          Tod, I'm not doing any converting at all. Just taking an easy measurment ex: .013" take away 2 at a time while counting on your fingers would be 3 shim sizes larger to get a gap of .007. All simple math with small numbers, no converting. I don't use the shim size as a metric measurement, only a reference number. I did learn this from Prom's posts BTW, much easier for me. It was a tad confusing at first but now it's a no brainer.
                          what?

Can you clearify for the people (me) who have no idea what your talking about? Also, can the shims be taken out without removing the cams, just need a valve spring compressor right?

Do the shims come in some standard size increment?
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

The service manual (clymer) lists the clearances in inches also, so there's no converting to mm, I just use the inch values. The shims can be removed with the well respected valve shim tool , or the cam's can be removed, your choice. IIRC, there is another method with a different tool, can't remember tho. The shim thicknesses increase in increments of .002" if you are using the English system. Less numbers to fool with when dealing with round thousandths of an inch. I'll search for a few threads explaining it better to really confuse youz guys.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                              explaining it better
                              Prom explains it pretty well, read posts 9 and 12....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=inches
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X