Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do the Valves (and other parts) need attention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do the Valves (and other parts) need attention?

Hi, I'm a bit of a engine noob. I recently bought a XS 81'RH. It's in decent nick for its age but has a patchy service history. I bought it off a woman who had it for 8+ years in the garage after her husband left her, she never rode or started it.
    Anyway I had it delivered to my place. Cleaned it up and done the following..
    -Fresh engine oil
    -replaced mid and shaft oil
    -new oil and air filters
    -fresh brake fluid and pads
    -new clutch cable and spring
    -new battery
    -new Iridium spark plugs
    -lots of scrubbing and polish to get the gunk and rust spots off
    I'll do the fork oil in the next month or so when my brother comes to visit as its going to be a 2 man job.

Ok it now starts quickly, runs well (only limited runs tho, yet to give it a good ride) and generally sounds good. Theres some minor cam chain rattle from the engine but other than that it appears to be all good. Theres no smoke or oil out the pipe and the bike does not leak anything.

Just wondering if the valves and shims should be ajusted? How do you know when to do them? Anything else I should check for?
    I live in a regional area as well and the closest bike mechanic is 300k away...

If it has high mileage I would just replace the timing chain for piece of mind.

Valve clearance should be checked/adjusted at least every 9600km/6000miles and check/adjust cam chain every 4800km/3000miles or sooner depending on rider.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Hi Levo and welcome,
      where are you located, RH is an Aus/NZ bike model designation?
      In addition to the things you have mentioned, buy baby some new boots!
      Those tires have to be at least 8 years old and probably even older;
      most likely they have turned as hard as wood even if they still look good.
      A tip you won't find in the manual is to remove the rear drive unit from the swingarm
      (just undo 4 nuts & pull once the wheel is out)
      And re-pack the driveshaft spline with moly grease.
      The grease nipple on the outside is a snare and a delusion, it dumps grease on the outside of the spline where it does no good at all.
      The camchain is easily adjusted, use the "search" function for the procedure.
      Note that the cam chain adjuster is located on the front of the engine because the XS11 engine runs backwards.
      As to the noise, here's an item from the 1930s:-
      Dear Mr Bugatti, my engine sounds like a bucket of ball bearings being poured onto an iron plate.
      Dear owner, from what you describe, your engine is running perfectly
      Last edited by fredintoon; 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Levo View Post
        I'll do the fork oil in the next month or so when my brother comes to visit as its going to be a 2 man job.

Ok it now starts quickly, runs well (only limited runs tho, yet to give it a good ride) and generally sounds good. Theres some minor cam chain rattle from the engine but other than that it appears to be all good. Theres no smoke or oil out the pipe and the bike does not leak anything.

Just wondering if the valves and shims should be ajusted? How do you know when to do them? Anything else I should check for?
        I live in a regional area as well and the closest bike mechanic is 300k away...
        You can do the forks alone, they're not too bad. When you said you have valve chain noise, I worry. I think what you meant to say was valve noise in general. Just in case, your valve chain is easily adjustable, there are threads that explain how. On your year of bike, 80' to newer, you should hear very little valve noise. The valve clearance should be 0.11-0.15 mm. Check a manual or thread for the proper way to do this, there is a special tool you will need to replace your shims. 79' and older bikes valve clearance was 0.16-0.20, so don't use that setting, you will have more clattering.
        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

????

Adjust the cam chain tensioner and see if the noise goes away.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own