No announcement yet.

Starter troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cy you could actually learn to type the smileys instead of "selecting" them from the menu.
    For example

is actually typed
    HTML Code:
    :(
    I had to put the code wrapper on it to keep it from displaying the actual face.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

The Flailing Must Continue!

Hullo Fred,

Cool! Here I am blindfolded,flailing wildly in the air and I actually knocked some candy out of the pinata??

I just can't fathom how you could have a low battery. I mean the one you got has enough CCA to fire up an inverter/electric griddle and host a pancake breakfast in any parking spot you choose.

Anything else fall out?? I mean something good???

I'm not a big fan of the "salted lime powder" or the saladitos. There's gotta be some sweet stuff in there.

Anybody else wanna give it a try?

Comment

Lick and a Promise?

Bump.

As in I took a swing, missed, but the air movement cause the pinata to spin a little.

I've seen similar "roller/clutch" systems like the ones used by the XS. Both the "wet" and the "dry" versions too. Nice trick when they work right. The driving force starts things spinning and the displacement of the individual "driven" components by the "drive" makes them lock in position during the operation.

Afterwards, without the starting drive/physical displacement they all return to their original location and either "freewheel" or wait patiently just out of reach of the now "rotating" shaft/gear. Closest thing ya can find round the house that does this is the FF/Play mechanisms inside a VHS tape player. (Who am I kidding? DVD's are what everybody uses now...)

Thing is that in order to do what they do, that initial WHAM (No...not anything to do with George Michael's old singing duo..) from the drive has to be there in order to lock things in place and establish the pressure/friction co-efficient to get things moving. Without it, lets say the drive took a rather "Limp-Wristed" approach, that's not gonna be enough. Sure, they may move enough to touch each other but once the contact surfaces start slipping they'll stay that-a-way as long as the driver mechanism keeps spinning. Grrr-Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Same sorta "loss of sufficient registering force" can happen if the drive motor/mechanism suffers a decrease in torque due to a voltage/current "sag/drop" during the process too. The drive has to engage with a WHAM, jam the individual rollers together, and then stay "shoulder to the wheel" as if it really means it. No time for the little drive mechanism to have second thoughts about what it's doing there or ponder the meaning of it's little life in the grand scheme of things. "Do or Do Not. There is no try.", Yoda.

Tod's had his eyes and fingers in there. Not just a casual glance like a "glad to see ya but gotta go" way. I'm confident if the problem were mechanically founded he would have found the offending part(s). So that's why I'm whacking away at the eclectical end of the glass half empty.

If the starter motor electrical power or control circuit had an intermittent "functionality" problem then I'd say that the whole action chain of the "clutch" rollers would either fail at the "git-go" or drop out in mid-operation.

The whole clutch/roller mechanism "concept" is a good theory. But in actual execution in the real world it works only by a "lick-and-a-promise."

I'm in awe every time the push of the starter button results in a running engine anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          Hi Clint,
          someone has been feeding you BS again.
          Grease is ambidextrous.
          But I heard it on the internet!!!! It MUST be true!!!!
          -- Clint
          1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Working...
          X