Missing something "Another Octo question"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing something "Another Octo question"

Actually it's more about the carbs themselves. I'm dealing with two 79 Specials and I understand the concept of removing the Octo.

- plug the prime outlet
    - run one line from each petcock to opposite side of carbs
    - bada bing bada boom .... enjoy

Ok well here's the question. See I got these bikes with the carbs already removed and something is baffling me. I'm looking at the T fittings for the fuel lines and I'm seeing two T's between 1,2 and 3,4 for a total of 4 possible connections.

Are two of the T's for vaccum and if so which ones? and in that case, cap them?

Thanks
    My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
    1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
    1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
    1981 Suzuki GS550 E
    1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Lower T's go to the gas tank. Upper set of T's go to the air box, you'll see 2 little attachment points on the carb side of the air box if you look.
    Those upper T's are vents for the float bowls, do not plug them, if your not running a stock air box then you'll have to run a line from those two upper t's to some sort of little breather filter.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

AHHH HA!!!

Yep I see them.....

Thank you kindly
      My Stable:

1981 Suzuki GS550 E

Comment

Originally posted by res1uqtp View Post
        AHHH HA!!!

Yep I see them.....

Thank you kindly
        And do be careful with the filter for the upper t's, because if the filter clogs (with moisture or anything else) the carbs will develop a continence problem.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

"Upper set of T's go to the air box, you'll see 2 little attachment points on the carb side of the air box if you look."
          boy, I really don't remember that. I don't have an air box...I wonder what the hell I did with them.......where are those T's on the carbs.
          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
          79 DT 100

Comment

those t's are directly above the fuel T's, unless you've got the later style carbs from an 80 or 81, then there is only one set of T's. I suppose you could just take the T's off the carbs if you split the rack and they would vent, but you'd be open to getting all sorts of crud and bugs from the air in your float bowls.
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
              "Upper set of T's go to the air box, you'll see 2 little attachment points on the carb side of the air box if you look."
              boy, I really don't remember that. I don't have an air box...I wonder what the hell I did with them.......where are those T's on the carbs.
              Yep, like stated the upper vent Ts are right above the fuel Ts. If your carbs do not have them, they are probably the newere model 80-81 carbs that were put on by a PO.

The newer model carbs also have 4 holes in the inlet bell of the carbs, fourth being the vent, instead of the three holes on the older model carbs inlet bell.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

I can't tell you guys how invaluable the members of this site are ....

I'm running the stock box so I'm good on those connections. I'm not doing a complete restore but it will be fairly close to stock.

Incidentally, I just traded a 400 watt computer power supply for a 1974 Honda CB 360T with 1400 original miles and in need of some TLC. Pics to come ...

(Did I mention I'm a computer technician in the medical industry )
                My Stable:

1981 Suzuki GS550 E

Comment

One more thing on those air-box venting tees. The later airbox nipples are molded WITHOUT THROUGH-HOLES. In my search for a good looking airbox, I wound up with a later model and had to drill holes in the airbox nipples so my 79 carb vents would work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                    - - - Those upper T's are vents for the float bowls, do not plug them, if your not running a stock air box then you'll have to run a line from those two upper t's to some sort of little breather filter.
                    Hi psyco,
                    why the little filters? Couldn't one just run those vent tubes down towards the street like it was 1956?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I suppose you could, or you could just leave them open, with no tubes at all. I guess Its just that where I grew up we have these wasps that like to find a hole and then pack it full of mud and dead bugs to lay their eggs in. Well I'm sure if one of those found and xs parked you'd end up with so much junk in those vent tubes you'd spend a week cleaning it out. Call me paranoid but if I can keep the crap, and bugs, out with a 2 dollar filter from the auto parts store then I will.
                      1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                        I suppose you could, or you could just leave them open, with no tubes at all. I guess Its just that where I grew up we have these wasps that like to find a hole and then pack it full of mud and dead bugs to lay their eggs in. Well I'm sure if one of those found and xs parked you'd end up with so much junk in those vent tubes you'd spend a week cleaning it out. Call me paranoid but if I can keep the crap, and bugs, out with a 2 dollar filter from the auto parts store then I will.
                        I used to work on a truck dock, and watched a guy sip through a straw a drink of his soda that was sitting out on a table on the open dock. The next thing he knew, he had a yellowjacket wasp in his mouth!! Makes me cringe just thinking about it!
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                        X