Gas cap restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas cap restoration

Due to my own stupidity my gas cap was probably 80% rusted. I have completely disassembled and removed 99% of the rust. My question is does anyone know of a product that works to stop rust on metal I could coat it with before I reassemble? A local mechanic did turn me on to a product called seal-all that comes in a small yellow squeeze tube with orange writing. I am going to use it around the petcock openings on the fuel tank, but really doubt it would work right on the gas cap, probably need something in an aerosol can? Thanks for any help / advice in advance! Oh yeah, anybody know how to correctly reassemble a gas cap off of an XS11 special?
    JC

If you intend to paint the parts, using something like Extend or a good zinc chromate primer works good. POR15 coatings work well but they have to be top coated with another type paint if they are exposed to sunlight.

For unpainted bare metal.... the best thing to use is simple light oil such as WD-40 which simply keeps moisture off the bare surface. But..... it will collect dust.
    1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Use the o-rings

I've used Seal -All for most of my life and I can't imagine where you would use it around a petcock except maybe to seal the hose tubes to the main body. Seal -All is great stuff for jerry rigging in an emergency but I have found it is simply glue and when you least expect it ............it'll fail. Fix it right one time.
      Garry
      '79 SF "Battle Cat"
      outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Thanks for the info!
        JC

Comment

Working...
        X