2-Part Automotive Clear Coat over Rustoleum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-Part Automotive Clear Coat over Rustoleum

I painted my gas tank the same way I painted my car a couple years ago: with a bucket of Rustoleum, a paintbrush, and a bunch of sandpaper. I've got a real nice, flat finish now but I need to get a clear coat on it that will resist fuel spills, according to what I've read on this site.

I had planned on going to a collision shop and having them spray an automotive 2-part paint on the tank. I took it to a guy last week who said he wasn't sure if his paint would mesh with the Rustoleum, but he gave me a little plastic bottle with a sample of his clear in it which was left over after he'd just sprayed a car, and I took it home and tried it out on the underside of the tank where I had painted the Rustoleum. It looked totally fine a few days later, no cracking or peeling. I tried rubbing fuel on it and it had no affect, although I found that the fuel didn't have an affect on the bare Rustoleum right next to it either... odd.

The guy who gave me that paint said he could do the tank for $50, so I started calling other shops to see if I could get it done cheaper. The first guy I called said no way, you can't put his paint on Rustoleum because they're "just different," and it would crack and peel if he tried it. He also said he didn't know how the other guy gave me a sample, because real 2-part paint turns solid pretty soon after you mix it. I haven't checked the sample yet to see if it's hardened, but I'm starting to get real confused here.

Anyone have some insight on this? I (obviously) don't know much about paint and I keep getting different information from different sources about:
    -Whether or not bare Rustoleum paint is fuel resistant
    -Whether or not 2-part clear paint will destroy the Rustoleum
    -Whether or not the sample bottle the 1st guy gave me is actually a 2-part paint

I'll check the sample bottle to see if it's hardened as soon as I get a chance. I just want to get the thing fuel-proof before the weather gets any nicer!

Marshall
    Ann Arbor, MI; Needham, MA
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special
    1983 Kawasaki gpZ550
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650

I can't answer your paint questions but in my experience most paint and auto body shops will not paint a part that was not prepped by them. The reason is that if your crapy prep (not saying yours is but averge joe off the street) causes whatever finish they put over the top to fail, then you might come back and be un-happy with them. The average person not understanding that prep is arguably the most important part of a good paint job and the intricacies of what will or won't stick to what else. Then you might demand they fix the paint or whatever and generally be a hassle. Plus they make more money if they can do all the work....

That said your best bet might be to get some of the 2 part in a rattle can that some folks here have used and shoot it yourself.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
      I can't answer your paint questions but in my experience most paint and auto body shops will not paint a part that was not prepped by them.
      Yeah, every painter I've talked to so far (I also got my frame epoxy-painted after doing my own prep) is REAL suspicious of me and what I'm asking them to do, until I talk with them for a few minutes and explain that I'm a poor college student and I'm aware and okay with the fact that their work might not come out looking show-bike worthy. Once they're on the same page they are way more likely to either do the job or give me useful advice.
      1983 Kawasaki gpZ550
      1978 Kawasaki KZ650

Comment

Marshall, if the Rustoleum is fully cured (say over a year old), you shouldn't have any problems unless you spray a real 'hot' paint over it such as some lacquers. I've sprayed over this myself and had no problems.

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Couple of cans of this should do it...

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm
          Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

or a cheap buy at the hobby store....

hey there marshall....i did it this way and it works pretty good....airbrushed 3 coats on.......

....ride hard, ride safe...ross
            rebel devil
            1979 xs 1100f standard
            authenic historical vehicle
            42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
            "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
            "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
            "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
            '96 venture cct.....installed!
            stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
            i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Whatever you do don't use rustoleum gloss. You already know it from the sounds of things. I have 1 yr old rustoleum gloss on my tank and it still comes right off with gas as if it were acetone. The paint itself is holding up fairly well. I just said it in case your like me and decide to try it out anyway. Not worth it.
              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
                Whatever you do don't use rustoleum gloss. You already know it from the sounds of things. I have 1 yr old rustoleum gloss on my tank and it still comes right off with gas as if it were acetone. The paint itself is holding up fairly well. I just said it in case your like me and decide to try it out anyway. Not worth it.
                If you want true gas resistance, you need a 2 part on the top. Do make sure it's fully cured, because the 2 part will seal the surface and no further curing will happen. But, you can get the clear in a spray can as mentioned in an earlier post and feedback says it does a bang up job. I plan on using it as the top coat when I do mine next month. Got a bunch of sanding to do before I start, and then I gotta be really careful waiting for the lacquer to cure before I put the 2 part on, but it's actually what duplicolor recommends over this paint if used on a tank to protect it from the gas.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by ross View Post
                  hey there marshall....i did it this way and it works pretty good....airbrushed 3 coats on.......

....ride hard, ride safe...ross
                  Yeah but is it truly gas proof? And can you get it in all 50 states? For those of us in Ca, we can't get most of the good stuff because of the air quality regs. 2 part is our ONLY option for true gas resistance (that and the fact that modern gas is much more reactive than the stuff used in the 60's and 70's.)
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                    If you want true gas resistance, you need a 2 part on the top. Do make sure it's fully cured, because the 2 part will seal the surface and no further curing will happen. But, you can get the clear in a spray can as mentioned in an earlier post and feedback says it does a bang up job. I plan on using it as the top coat when I do mine next month. Got a bunch of sanding to do before I start, and then I gotta be really careful waiting for the lacquer to cure before I put the 2 part on, but it's actually what duplicolor recommends over this paint if used on a tank to protect it from the gas.
                    Not sure if you ever read my thread on what I did to my gas tank, but let's just say I need a new tank before I'm ready to mess with the paint on it again. When I do get a new tank, I'm definitely taking my time, and I'm thinking of buying one of those rechargeable paint cans again so I can mix some good auto paint with hardener this time. I hate painting, I just want to do it once more.
                    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      Do make sure it's fully cured, because the 2 part will seal the surface and no further curing will happen.
                      How can you tell it's really cured? Seems very "dry" after a week, is there something else going on chemically that takes longer?

Thanks for the advice,
                      Marshall
                      1983 Kawasaki gpZ550
                      1978 Kawasaki KZ650

Comment

Originally posted by marshall View Post
                        How can you tell it's really cured? Seems very "dry" after a week, is there something else going on chemically that takes longer?
                        Nearly all paints will 'surface dry' fairly quickly. But with some paints, it can take literally months for all the solvents to fully 'cure out'. If the Rustoelum is only a week old, it's not even close to being cured; this paint is notorious for curing slowly. How fast paint cures depends on a lot of factors; what kind, how thick it is, how quickly additional coats were applied (and how thick each coat was), and environmental conditions. With all the Rustoelum products I've used, I'd figure a 3 month cure time at a minimum before I'd try to put another paint type over it unless you speed the process with heat lamps. At six months I'd feel semi-secure about doing this, after a year no problem. I've seen brushed-on Rustoelum fingerprint after being on for over three months, so you tell me how slow it cures.

But that's just me...

'78E original owner
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

the low down...

hey there folks....the stuff i showed in the picture you should be able to get in most any radio controlled hobby store....it is the fuel proofer they use for airplanes and boats...i heard that airplane fuel is even worse than gasoline....i've spilled on mine a couple times and if you wipe it off when it happens, it works pretty good.....ride hard, ride safe....ross
                          rebel devil
                          1979 xs 1100f standard
                          authenic historical vehicle
                          42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
                          "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
                          "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
                          "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
                          '96 venture cct.....installed!
                          stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
                          i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

WOW that is a long curing time! Since there is no way I'm waiting that long, I'm going to have to say &*%$ it and either have the 1st guy clear-coat it or do it myself with Spray Max, and hope for the best. It really is hard- and dry- feeling, and it came off in a very fine powder when I wet-sanded after coats, but I imagine the potential problem w/ clearing an uncured base coat has something to do with chemicals (I'm an ME, not a ChemE), not hardness. I called a bunch of hardware stores and nobody had Spray Max so I'll probably have it done by the collision center guy. Also, I went to check on the bottle of sample clear he gave me, and sure enough it had hardened to a sort of plastic-jelly state.

Marshall
                            1983 Kawasaki gpZ550
                            1978 Kawasaki KZ650

Comment

Working...
                            X