No announcement yet.

Soft bags brackets....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry, to clarify you have two mounting points, really sounds like the same two points I have my "1st gen" supports hooked to in the pictures, difference is you used channel and built a shelf for the bags to sit on and I used flat bars just to keep the bags out of the wheels.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Thanks y'all. You've given me a couple of ideas.

Psyco, I had actually not thought of using the rear peg mounts. I was looking at the little bolt eyelet on the frame under the seat that has nothing hooked to it.

ManitoulinLad, the aluminum channel is a great idea. I'll look for some today.

Comment

I like the strength and stability of mounting to the rear peg hole but:
        It makes it hard to hide the entire bracket behind the bag, I don't want to see the bracket if I can avoid it.
        It is kinda a pain to remove, especially for me because My exhaust mounts there as well, and I want to be able to take the bags (and the brackets) on and off as I choose with as little hassle as possible.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Thats the problem I'm not - even for that. I know it sounds crazy in this teck word, but hey call me computor & digital camera upload etc challenged. Just this stuff is a big deal for me. Picture a flat square that has a piece of channel attached to the foot peg bolt at the back of it. The flat box extends from the footpeg back. Then a flatbar coming down from the bolt in the side of the fender to support it more. Sorry - I know I should learn more of this comp stuff. My saddle bags go past my footpegs (overtop of them) as I have forwards & my passenger uses the driver pegs. - Dan
          '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
          1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
          Rebuilt head, valves
          TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
          Tkat Fork Brace
          T.C. Spade Fuse Box
          Dyna Coils & wires
          Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
          ISO grips with stelleto ends
          4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
          Bridgestone Spitfires
          Tuned by Tinman905
          & a will to keep it.

Comment

No big deal, just offered because it seems like a lot of people can e-mail a photo but struggle when it comes to getting them to show up on a forum. I think I've got the idea, helps to know that you don't use the passenger pegs.
            1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

Maybe a better way to picture it would be that if I took the bags off you would be left with perfect passenger flat footrest that are approx 8" -10" long by 4" wide. You just need to put a piece of flat steel on it. I noticed that when I sat on the back seat & stood up on them to see if they were strong enough & they are. - Dan
              Rebuilt head, valves
              Tkat Fork Brace
              T.C. Spade Fuse Box
              Dyna Coils & wires
              Bridgestone Spitfires
              Tuned by Tinman905
              & a will to keep it.

Comment

Ok.......

so I went over to the Yamaha dealer here close by and started talking to the owner about what I was looking for. After several minutes of him scratching his head and saying " they just don't make stuff for those old bikes anymore" he finally said " let me go back and look on my old stuff shelf in the back.

After a few minutes he cam back out with an old dusty package that looked like it had been opened and reclosed several times and it had these brackets here in it.

I think he said they were for an old virago but I'm not sure.The price tag said $75 but he sold them to me for $45.

I had to bend the mounting eyelets closer together to match the rear grab bar bolt and that empty eyelet on the frame under the seat and add a spacer there.

That got them well away from the swing arm and the wheel. I'll get my friend at the upholstery shop sew on some kind of straps to support the vertical weight.

And, they're PLENTY strong and look good.........huh?

Comment

Cool - glad it all worked out for ya - Dan
                  Rebuilt head, valves
                  Tkat Fork Brace
                  T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                  Dyna Coils & wires
                  Bridgestone Spitfires
                  Tuned by Tinman905
                  & a will to keep it.

Comment

OK, well you already found your brackets but because I said I would and because someone in the future might want to see them here are some pictures of my gen 2 brackets

1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                    X