Soft bags brackets....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft bags brackets....

I just got some fairly decent leather bags but I need some kind of brackets for support.

Anyone else with soft bags?

Can one of y'all point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

I'm following this thread with great interest. I also have soft bags, although mine are "semi" rigid fake leather. I looked for a long time and didn't find anything I liked. Then I tried to build my own. Actually tried twice, first attempt was ok but ugly as heck. Second attempt was better looking and more functional, at least until one of the mounting ears broke off a week or two ago. Now my bags are back to "throw over" status and using the rear springs/shocks to keep em out of the wheel. I could post pics of my attempts if your interested....
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

I have soft bags, no brackets.
      They strap over the fender (under the seat) and sit between the shock and blinker.
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

Why would you need brackets? The shocks work great as a separator between the bag and the wheel. You just have to be careful that they don't hang down too low and sit on the pipes.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
          I'm following this thread with great interest. I also have soft bags, although mine are "semi" rigid fake leather. I looked for a long time and didn't find anything I liked. Then I tried to build my own. Actually tried twice, first attempt was ok but ugly as heck. Second attempt was better looking and more functional, at least until one of the mounting ears broke off a week or two ago. Now my bags are back to "throw over" status and using the rear springs/shocks to keep em out of the wheel. I could post pics of my attempts if your interested....
          Yea, The breakage is what I'm trying to avoid. I found some universal brackets online
          but I'm having trouble figuring out how they will bolt up.

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
          I have soft bags, no brackets.
          They strap over the fender (under the seat) and sit between the shock and blinker.
          Yup, that is what I have now but the nylon protectors that are velcroed to the back have had an incident with the rear wheel and suffered some wheel rash. Both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
            Let's see what you got psyco.....I guess we're the only ones interested in this subject.

I'm trying to figure out some kind of bottom support also. I've hade to stuff my leather jacket in there a couple times and the load bearing corners of the bag are showing some stress.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
              Let's see what you got psyco.....I guess we're the only ones interested in this subject.

I'm trying to figure out some kind of bottom support also. I've hade to stuff my leather jacket in there a couple times and the load bearing corners of the bag are showing some stress.
              Your bags must be much larger than mine.
              I can barely cram my lunch in one, much less a jacket.
              Maybe that's why I don't need no steeekin brackets.
              XS1100SF
              XS1100F

Comment

Yup, they are fairly good sized. I thought i had posted a pic .....

But they were an inexpesive set and are thin in need of some support. The axle hits occasionally on the left and the caliper rubs constantly on the right.

Comment

several years ago i fabbed a set for my Virago 1000 out of brake line. it doesnt rust easy, and was easy to bend.

On our XS's it may be a bit more difficult....

I imagine that you could fashion some sort of bracket that would bolt up to the frame with a little help from a drill and good bits
                  '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                  Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                  4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                  Windjammer(wiring issues)
                  SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                  New paint/brakes to come!!
                  ===============
                  '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                  ===============
                  '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                  Stock Pilots/125 mains
                  Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                  SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                  LED Brake Lite
                  Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Thanks Tom but I think brake line would be a little too flimsy in this application.

I'm thinking of hacking up a shopping cart for what I need, (Don't tell Walmart), that would probably be rigid enough. I'm just thinking it will probably turn out REALLY ugly.

BTW Tom....I'm not going to use that tail light I got from you. I got a fender and tail light from an SF to go on there.
                    I started to knock off the rust and kinda messed up what was left of the chrome though. I'll send it back to you when I get a chance. I think I still got your addy somewhere, but if I don't I'll get ahold of ya.

Comment

No problem...hang onto it if you want...somebody close by may need it sooner than me!!!

the bags i had were short Willie & Max bags, so there wasnt a lot of weight to them, but enuf that it would rub the tire....no bueno.
                      '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                      Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                      4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                      Windjammer(wiring issues)
                      SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                      New paint/brakes to come!!
                      ===============
                      '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                      ===============
                      '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                      Stock Pilots/125 mains
                      Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                      SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                      LED Brake Lite
                      Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Okie, my bags look to be about the same size as yours, if I really push I can get my jacket in one of my bags so probably close. I'll take a few pics of my last attempt, the mounting location and where they failed when I get home tonight.

Here you can see my first attempt, sorry I don't have a closer up shot...
                        Without bags on....

With bags on....

The problem I had with those supports were 1. They were hard to remove if I wanted to go "bag-less". 2. They made a bad wear spot at that far back corner on my bags, going down the road the wind would push the bags hard against that tiny spot, where the point on the brackets was. 3. They were not stiff enough, if the bags were empty everything was great, if I loaded them up they brackets would bend down and allow the bags to touch the pipes, brake rotor, rim etc...

This would apear to be the only picture I have of the bike with my "2nd gen" brackets installed, gives you an idea of where the bags hung.

I was relatively happy with these brackets functionally until they broke. Still not quite sturdy enough to keep from bending when the bags were really loaded up.

I should also mention that my bags are throw overs, but they are also supposed to zip off. With the second gen brackets I screwed the "over" part of the bags to the brackets just above the zipper, That way I could still zip off the bags but I didn't have that stiff "over strap" part of the bag in the way when I put the seat on and off. I'll post pics of the bracket when I get home...
                        Last edited by psycoreefer; 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM.
                        1979 xs1100 Special -
                        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                        My Bike:
                        [link is broken]

Comment

sorry to follow up my own post, if you click the picture, then when it opens in a webshots click it again and select full screen you can actually see things pretty good. You can even see the screws and the "over" part of the bags hanging out on the 2nd gen bracket picture.
                          1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                          [link is broken]

Comment

Hey Guys: I just did this during the winter - my bags fit a 10L gas can each (heritage bags from bikerbags.com) I can put one on each side of the bike. This is my extra gas for long trips. My bike get lousy gas mileage. I made supports to take the weight for the gas cans etc. My bags were thruw overs- I cut the slings off them & have tied to the grab bar & they sit flat on the supports - made them off 1" aluminin channel from hardware store. & made a flat support under the bags (a square) this is bolted to the back passenger peg mount. I also have another support for the back of the bag & to take the weight with a 1" flat bar 1/8' thick from hardwware store that is bolted to the bolt that is kinda under the seat & between the shock mount & tailight mounts. I had to bend (by hand) the down support abit to make it all fit. So the downward flat bar gives it back support & the bottom is strong. Hell I stood on it when I was done it & it took my weight. The bags are raw-hided to the frame etc & rawhide is straped around the grab bar. I know a picture is a thousand words - but I don't have the tech savy to do that. The whole deal cost me around $25.00. Hope this give you some ideas - Dan
                            '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                            1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                            Rebuilt head, valves
                            TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                            Tkat Fork Brace
                            T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                            Dyna Coils & wires
                            Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                            ISO grips with stelleto ends
                            4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                            Bridgestone Spitfires
                            Tuned by Tinman905
                            & a will to keep it.

Comment

If your tech savy enough to e-mail a picture I could post it for you, sounds like a strong setup but I'm having trouble picturing it in my head.
                              1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                              [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                              X