Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain need adjusting?

Hello all!

I am entering new territory with this problem so I thought I would ask you guys about it before I start tinkering with something I shouldnt be doing.

I started the bike up for the first time couple weeks ago, sounded rough, but fixed that with a carb clean and oil change. When I put everything back together the bike ran great (needs a sync, but no biggie) except for this really loud clicking noise coming from my starter side cover. I took it off and noticed the timing plate area making the noise. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK...... when i would hold it with my finger it stops and only does it when its at idle. Dont really know whats going on, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I rode it all day yesterday (first day out - 68 and sunny!) but I just dont want to keep riding it without addressing this for fear of doing damage to the bike.

Thanks!

Its coming from the timing plate? Do you have your vacuum advance hooked up right, to the #2 carb body, not the intake boot. I'm thinking maybe the vacuum advance is banging back and forth.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

If you've done what psycoreefer pointed out, a proper sync should calm that clacking down.

Comment

Rythym but No Blues...

chewie123,

What?? You're riding and actually listening to the engine?? No ear plugs or I-Pod plugging up your ear canals???

Cool!! The best troubleshooting equipment is built right into your face and head. Good to hear that you have it turned on and actively searching for "weirdness".

That noise is "normal" if your vacuum hose from the vacuum advance is routed to the #2 carb. (NOT the carb boot which connects the carb to the intake. If it were routed there then the click-click would be way worse...)

Here's a video of the "normal" operation of that plate/diaphragm:

Sound familiar?

The vacuum pulses come from one carb and so at idle there's not enough "pulses-per-second" to keep the vacuum constant enough to prevent the spring pressure from pulling (Pushing??) the assembly/plate back to its starting position. Once the Rpms get high enough the plate stops bouncing/clicking. This "chattering" at idle is one of the major reasons why the wires connecting the ignition pick-ups get such a work-out and therefore break.

I figure that plate bouncing around at idle is like Head Bobbing.

Something to do when you're waiting for the traffic light to change colors??

Comment

Um, mine doesn't click back and forth, I've verified that it works and while my bike isn't perfect I don't think the vacuum advance should be moving enough to make noise at idle.

Maybe it needs a little grease?
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

The vacuum plunger is pulled up by vacuum. An arm sticks down and connects to the advance. When vacuum pulls that arm, all is tight. At idle, the arm hangs loose and there is a rattle of the arm in the advance's attachment. See if there is a lot of play in the arm connecting the advance to the vacuum unit.
            Last edited by LoHo; 03-19-2010, 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling error
            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
              The vacuum plunger is pulled up by vacuum. An arm sticks down and connects to the advance. When vacuum pulls that arm, all is tight. At idle, the arm hangs loose and there is a rattle of the arm in the advance's attachment. See if there is a lot of play in the arm connecting the advance to the vacuum unit.
              With carbs out of sync, number two could be low exasperating the condition.

Deny
              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Makes sense, I guess mines still tight, or has enough gunk on it that I can't hear it click. I thought we were talking about the advance actually moving, not the linkage making some noise.
                1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

Fear Factor?

Hey!!

You guys are scaring me.

Now I gotta open up the left side cover and look/listen again.

Mebbe I missed something????

Playing on my Fears/Concerns about my baby is a mean...mean thing to do.

(May lead to some "Obsessive Compulsive" psychosis about every little noise I hear...or think I hear. Hopefully.)

Comment

Take heart...I'm pretty sure that most of the knowledge posted on this site is the result of someone screwing up. Or is that just me?
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys!

So even though I hate to admit it, I had the hose connected to the boot instead of the carb, ive pulled the carbs a dozen times and dont know why I did that. The click is gone, but now its a little low at idle, I think a sync should fix that. Thanks again for the help!

-C

Comment

Working...
                      X