Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Question (rattle-can saddlebag clear coat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Question (rattle-can saddlebag clear coat)

I've just spent the last few weeks re-painting my motorcycle as part of my winter maintenance. The tank and sidecovers are done. The next step is to paint my set of hard saddlebags. Now, I've already got the paint figured out (Enamel Rustoleum, same colors I've used on the bike). What I need help with is the clear coat.

When it came to the tank, I sprung for a couple cans of the SprayMax 2 part Urethane. This was enough for the tank AND sidecovers. However, now that I'm working on the bags (where gas shouldn't get to, if I know what I'm doing), is this really necessary? Could I get away with a simple Rustoleum Enamel clear coat for these? That way I wouldn't have to keep ordering expensive clear coat that I don't need.

I guess my concerns are for physical durability (against dings and scrapes) versus a chemical durability, in a can that's relatively cheap and easy (for me) to get to. Any advice?
    Currently XS-less.

You can beat the durability of a urethane clear coat but any clear coat will be better than nothing at all.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

I'd stick with the two-part. Not only is it more durable in terms of gas spillage, it's just better paint all around. It won't scuff, scratch or mar as easily. Plus you may have an issue with the two different kinds of clear 'yellowing' different (and all clears will, sooner or later). May have different UV protection too, so the base may not fade at the same rate.

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...