A new electrical challenge for gurus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new electrical challenge for gurus.

I've been having trouble with my turn signal switch acting weird. So I went to my bike shop here in town and he only had some Harley hand controls for it. The on/off, horn, start button, and high beam/lowbeam buttons are easy enough to figure out. I'm going to get rid of my headlight relay and do something for a manual switch, also gonna get rid of the reserve lighting unit.

The trouble I'm going to run into is the harley controls have one turn signal switch on each bar. They are the press once spring style button. I've been on the harley forum reading that you have to use a turn signal module for these buttons to operate. Harley charges way too much for those, and I am looking for a cheaper way. I'm assuming all the turn signal module does is to connect the circuit when the button is pressed the first time so the flasher can do it's work, then unconnect the circuit when the button is pressed again. I'm not sure if that's how it works, but that's what I'm trying to accomplish. Do any of you electrical gurus know of a little black box with wires coming out that might do this? Is there an automotive turn signal module that I could adapt to the system?

Today at autozone, I saw this nifty push button pad switch board that I might could use. It has four soft pad buttons that does virtually the same thing as what I described. You push the buttons which are connected to a computerized box, the switches open inside the box, and electricity goes through the circuit. Do you think it would work?It has 4 switches that can connect to it, so #1 could be left, #2 could be right, and #3 & #4 could be to the hazards. I don't really care about having hazards, but if I could make em work why not.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

You can get new replacement controls from MikesXS. Pretty much a bolt-on, although there may be some minor wiring changes needed on some years (do a forum search; I know this has been gone over).

To do the Harley switches, you have multiple issues. One, the cost of their 'module'. Two, it won't function right anyway because you won't have the proper input from a HD factory speedo. Three, they use a propriatary type wiring plug to connect to the module (more $$). Four, these fit 1" bars, not the OEM 7/8", so you'll have to shim the housings.

The two modules don't quite work the same either. The HD unit has the flasher built-in. Both need a input from the speedo, although I doubt if the distance calibration is the same, even if it's the same type of input.

More issues: even if you don't use Harley's module, you can't use the Yammy one either. The stock 'canceller' needs 2 inputs to operate and the stock switches are two-pole to accomodate this. The HD are single-pole, so you're missing a input. Not to say you have to have the module; the older Harleys used a standard 2-wire flasher (no module) and you held the button down to use the turns, released it when done. You could go this way, and you wouldn't even have to do that much rewiring.

The parts-house switch panel will present the same problems as the HD switches, plus one more unless it's programmable. Still a single-pole switch, and now it's not a momentary-contact, so you'll have to press it for 'on' and again for 'off' (so you could 'one of those' who drive for miles with a flashing turn...).

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I sent you a message already but hadn't read this yet. The double pole connection could be a little tricky, but I was reading my diagrams last night, and it looks as if the reason for the double pole, is cause the hazard circuit initially powers the blinker circuit. When the hazard switch is off, the poles are jumped to power the blinkers. I could go without hazards at the least, but since there are two flashers on the bike, the hazard circuit is almost a different circuit all together if you take the stock switch out of the picture. This is all in beta testing, and I won't do anything rash like chop the stock stuff up without testing my theories first.
      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

Oh yeah I forgot, you mentioned the harley turn siganl module has a built in flasher, I thought it might have something like that. That's another reason I want to try and adapt that electronic switch box. It doesn't have any flasher, it's just a glamorized toggle switch. So I could still use my system for the flashers and automatic turn signals. If I can replace the gel pad buttons with the controls, it all depends on that.

Comment

Your right Steve, that double poled connection really screws up my plan. There's no way I could wire it without frying some things. I think that electric switch could work on your hd though. As long as your control buttons could be adapted to the gel pad input, I don't see why not.

I know I could get blinkers working on my bike, and probably keep the self canceling feature, but I would have to remember to always turn my signal off anyway, cause the first time i didn't and used the other blinker I could melt some things. I don't like the idea of chopping my wiring up anyway, maybe a few things but it would be extensive with this plan. I cringe when I think of it, I can't go through with it.

Comment

Working...
          X