Carb Questions for 79 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Questions for 79 Special

One of the diaphragms isn't working properly. I read the fix using the spray rubber and I plan on trying that first but is there anywhere I can buy a diaphragm for 79 SF carbs? I've looked around and can only find the whole assembly (and for outrageous prices).

I also ordered carb rebuild kits through Parts N More and the gaskets don't exactly fit. They are close and it's just one hole that's a little off and they might require a small amount of trimming around the edge. Is this common or do you guys think these are carbs from another year?

If you've got both fuel feed hoses and bowl vent hoses then you've got the right carbs.

If you do a search you should find some threads about diaphragms, I think there was a place (ebay maybe) where you could buy just the rubber but I don't think anyone had tried them yet.

I didn't have to trim my gaskets, however I've heard people mention trimming to prevent the floats from hanging on the gaskets.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by Eastspur View Post
      One of the diaphragms isn't working properly. I read the fix using the spray rubber and I plan on trying that first but is there anywhere I can buy a diaphragm for 79 SF carbs? I've looked around and can only find the whole assembly (and for outrageous prices).

I also ordered carb rebuild kits through Parts N More and the gaskets don't exactly fit. They are close and it's just one hole that's a little off and they might require a small amount of trimming around the edge. Is this common or do you guys think these are carbs from another year?
      You might have the gasket upside down try flipping it over .
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

If the diaphragm has pinholes, a 50/50 mix of Plasti-dip and naphtha applied with a Q-tip is supposed to be the shizzle. Info. borrowed from a sport bike forum.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Seems like Part #20-6028 on this page should work.
          http://www.mikesxs.net/products-75.html#products
          1980 XS1100LG

Comment

Originally posted by XSBell View Post
            Seems like Part #20-6028 on this page should work.
            http://www.mikesxs.net/products-75.html#products
            How do you know that's the same one as the 79 SF? Best price i've seen but still, sucks when you just need the rubber.

The diaphragm actually has a tear going all the way to the edge. Has anyone had any success fixing something like that?

Comment

Thinking about trying this, will let you guys know how it works.

Diaphragm Fix

Comment

Ive replaced just the diaphram
                by cutting the upper ring and prying it off,
                the diaphrams are sometimes available on ebay but there
                not that cheap, but cheaper than buying
                the whole slide.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

[QUOTE=Eastspur;263608]How do you know that's the same one as the 79 SF? Best price i've seen but still, sucks when you just need the rubber.

If your bike has Mikuni BS34 CV Carbs on it, that should be the slide thats in there. I would give them a call before ordering to confirm.
                  1980 XS1100LG

Comment

mikes xs won't confirm, in fact they may refuse to sell it to you if you tell them its for an 1100. They are strictly 650 stuff, I know doesn't make sense but that's their story.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

I have a used slide with a good rubber less the needle. PM me if you are interested.
                      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                        mikes xs won't confirm, in fact they may refuse to sell it to you if you tell them its for an 1100. They are strictly 650 stuff, I know doesn't make sense but that's their story.
                        Well that's nice they have so much F'n business that they can be that way. Never ordered anything from them...thanks for the heads up.
                        1980 XS1100LG

Comment

Working...
                        X