quick carb ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick carb ???

Currently "Ghost" has stock pilots and mains. "Sunshine" i bumped up to 125 mains with stock pilots...and seems to run good. havent had a chance to road test yet. looking to put carbs back on "Ghost" after cleaning them...

question is...with stock pilots, fuel mix screws i had to 'back out' quite a bit. will larger pilots allow for less backing out of the mix screws and more tune-ability??
    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
    Windjammer(wiring issues)
    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
    New paint/brakes to come!!
    ===============
    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
    ===============
    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
    Stock Pilots/125 mains
    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
    LED Brake Lite
    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Yes.......

Comment

Somewhat, but they will also fatten up your mix just off idle through about 1/4 throttle when the slide needle starts taking over. So, its a balancing act that can either cure an idle problem or cause an off idle stumble if adjusted either way. Good news is that they are cheap and easy to swap out, so its worth trying.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

groovy... just didnt want to keep backing the screws out and have them ALL the way out and still not be getting enuf fuel to tune properly.....i may go just one size over stock to keep the screws firmly ON the carbs.... the 125 mains seem like they may be a bit on the low side from reading what others have.....i dont wanna run either bike too lean on the top side....seems that 145's may be the size to get based on readings...
        ===============
        ===============
        Stock Pilots/125 mains
        LED Brake Lite
        Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

additional question... if i cant locate 45 pilots....will 47.5's work if i tighten the mix screws some??? MikesXS is out of stock on the 45's.....
          ===============
          ===============
          Stock Pilots/125 mains
          LED Brake Lite
          Needs paint....

Comment

I'd just take one to the local motorcycle shop and see if they can match up a set in the next size up.

If you increase your pilot jets too much, you'll get a soggy spot at low throttle. If your mains are still a bit lean you'd be better off getting those sorted first, because they affect the entire range of fuel delivery. It may be that a set of richer mains will have your idle needles back in line.

Usually too lean on the mains will make the bike feel like it surges with power when you back off of full throttle just a hair. There is a very good CV carb tuning write up on Factory Pro's website that has been ripped off all over the net, you should be able to find it pretty easy.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

If you've got a local bike shop around give them a try for your jets. All the local shops by my house stock a small selection of idle and main jets. Just take one of yours with you so you can be sure your getting the right style, some of the parts guys are not so bright. I think I paid 4 bucks each local, thats only a buck more then mikes and I supported a local business, didn't have to wait for the mail, and got exactly what I wanted.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post
                additional question... if i cant locate 45 pilots....will 47.5's work if i tighten the mix screws some??? MikesXS is out of stock on the 45's.....
                I wouldn't go higher than 45 pilots. A few guys have gone to 47.5's and it was too rich (soggy), and ended up going back to 45's. If you have to go more than 4-5 turns out with your mixture screws from lightly seated, go up one size on your pilots.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If you can't find them locally you might try jetsrus.com. Wherever you get them, make sure they're genuine mikuni - it makes a difference. I'm with Ivan and Phil on the 47.5's - two bumps on the pilots is a lot.
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                  X