Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special v. Standard: Interchangeable front fender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special v. Standard: Interchangeable front fender?

I know the fenders are different on specials and standards (hence tkat makes two braces), but are they interchangeable from one bike to the other. Is there any drawbacks about doing that.

TIA for helping a noob.
    1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
    2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

You CAN make a special fender work on a standard, but NOT the other way around. The sliders on the special and standard are two different diameters, hence the two fork braces.
    Best bet is get the proper fender, or go for an aftermarket plastic/fiberglass fender and make your own mount. either way, the Tkat brace is a MUST if you like riding a little ( or a LOT ) faster than the posted speed.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks.

I think I'll just let this one go to whoever bid 9 bucks for it then. The guy selling it said it came off a bike with a VIN of "3j6 002050" which I believe is a special.

Maybe it won't go for 9 bucks anymore.

Comment

The two fenders are fairly easy to tell apart; the Special fender is a one piece stamping, the Standard is two (the mounts are spot welded to the fender).

Norman, eh? My mother escaped... uh, I mean moved from there, but I still have cousins in the area. Know any Calverts?

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
          I know the fenders are different on specials and standards (hence tkat makes two braces), but are they interchangeable from one bike to the other. Is there any drawbacks about doing that.
          TIA for helping a noob.
          Hi Drake,
          it's my understanding that the fenders don't swap, not because of different fork slider diameters( although that may also be a reason) but because the Standard front axle is under the slider while the Spacial front axle is on the front so that the fender blade's arc won't match the wheel if you swap them.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Norman, eh? My mother escaped... uh, I mean moved from there, but I still have cousins in the area. Know any Calverts?
            I know of some. At my law school there is a Calvert Chair and a Calvert Moot Court competition. I'm fairly new to the area though and haven't met too many people outside of law school.

Comment

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
              I know of some. At my law school there is a Calvert Chair and a Calvert Moot Court competition. I'm fairly new to the area though and haven't met too many people outside of law school.
              I doubt if those are related... They were mostly poor dirt famers. If there's any rich Calverts (that can afford to endow a chair), I never heard about them...

'78E original owner
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                fender blade's arc won't match the wheel
                Yep, I put a Standard front fender on Special forks before. To make the arc correct, the rear mounting holes have to be re-drilled. That requires getting rid of the spot welded on washers first which is a PITA. A Special fender to Standard forks, I've never tried. I know a Standard fender can be made to work with FJ forks though.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                X