81 xs11h wiring question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 xs11h wiring question?

Can someone else with an 81 standard check to see if they have a ground wire in the loom to the right side controls?

This 81 I just picked up has an issue where the start button doesn't work, started checking back and there is no ground. Check the loom and there is no black wire (ground) going to the switches on the right. Doesn't look like there ever was one, however both the wiring diagrams I've got show a ground there.

The PO switched out the chrome bars for some "black chrome" ones and then the start button stopped working. I figure the old bars were grounding through the housing but the new ones the black coating is preventing the ground. I added a wire for now but I'd like to know if my diagram is wrong or if I've got some sort of crazy half A@@ harness.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

I know my 80 G doesn't have a ground wire, it uses the bars as the ground.

I would guess that the 81 would be the same. No ground for the left side controls either, those also go through the bars, gotta make sure that whatever you do you still have the ground.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

+1....bars are ground
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

thanks guys, my 79sf does have an actual ground wire going to the controls, funny that they eliminated it for later years. Oh well, I've added a small wire to ground it.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

IIRC, on the 80-81, the ground wire runs to the left side controls and the bar is grounded there, so the right side controls gets it ground from the bar itself. If you're running painted bars, adding the extra ground wire to the right side is a good idea.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

DeOX anyone?

Hi,
            Has anyone here used the contact cleaner lubricant DeOX? If so, does it function any better than any other brand like they claim? Its very high priced, has anyone found a supplier with a reasonable price. I see it , as two two cc tubes for sevnteen bux but this is the 100 percent stuff unlike the five percent which is cheaper at least for a five ounce spray can for 20 bux. The five percent seems to be for minor contact cleaning where the severe discoloration type cleaning needs the hundred percent stuff.
            80 MNS , Georgefix pods , crossed fuel lines, no octy, inline filters, Daytona handlebar, custom seat, Hardley 19 muffs

Comment

I've heard of it but never used it. Comes highly recommended, if I could find it local I might have got the spray can stuff to try. If it costs more, just be careful not to waste any.
              1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
              X