luggage locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luggage locks

I think this has been tossed around before but I'll ask anyway.

I have a set of the original Yamaha saddlebags (actually 3 sets and one trunk). All but one set is missing keys/broken/rusted ugly looking.

I've checked with locksmiths and they say they can't help. Someone suggested luggage/briefcase locks. I've checked around and can't find any.

Anyone replace theirs and if so what with? If you can still get them please let me know.

I have my bike (bags and trunk) and there are 2 sets of bags for wifes' bike (small and large bags).
    Looking for a total of 14 locks preferably keyed alike.

If anyone can help let me know here (I'm sure others would be interested) or off-list.

T.I.A.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Check out the Mcmaster- Carr supply company. If your luggage is like mine, you are looking for part number 1170 A31 as shown on this page

You can also go in from their main page , and enter the part number in the search box.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks for the ultra fast reply Ken.
      Sadly my lock/latch(s) are different.
      Can I Email you a pic of what's needed and you post it? I know lots of others have this same set-up.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

I'm just on the way out the door, Pat, won't be back until sometime after the 10th. Have a browse through some mmore of the McMaster-Carr catalog - I've got a feeling you may find what you're after somewhere in there. If not, feel free to e-mail me your photos and we'll get them posted a bit later....
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks again Ken.
          SWMBO is browsing for them on-line. She's actually comming close to finding some. All so far are a little large.
          These are the 'pull-down' type latches that lock. They are a surface mount, not internal with just the key tumbler sticking out.
          They are similar to what is found on briefcases.

Something will be found to work. There are some at the hardware store that would work but take a padlock. We don't want padlocks banging and scratching things.

Some things I remember when this thread was going on the old site was:
          someone had lost one or more lids off their bag(s). Someone replied that they used a short piece of cable to keep the lids wirh the bags. Someone else used piano hinge. In one of these replies the lock/latch was mentioned.

Thanks agfain for all the help
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Working...
          X