Fork oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork oil change

Here's a variation on the "Festus Fast Fork Oil Change" procedure listed in the technical section. The heart of this method is a 1 1/2" needle nose grease dispenser.
    [IMG]/forum/images/tips/20030730-needlenosedispenser.jpeg [/IMG]

I modified the dispenser by removing the end fitting and threading the point to M4x.7 to match the threads of the drain screw at the bottom of the fork leg.
    [IMG]/forum/images/tips/20030730-dsc02231.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a shot of the entire apparatus...

[IMG]/forum/images/tips/20030730-dsc02230.jpg[/IMG]

To use it, I first removed the stem of the air valve, removed the drain screw, and drained the old oil. A bit of a blast with the air compressor got the old oil out a bit quicker than gravity alone.

Then I attached a piece of clear hose to the modified grease dispenser, screwed it into the drain hole, and put the end of the hose into a container with the measured amount of fresh oil.

Finally, I attached a vacuum pump to the air valve, and pumped up the vacuum. It only took a couple of minutes for the fresh oil to be drawn up into the fork. Sure was a lot faster than any other method I've tried.
    Ken Talbot

I always knew changing fork oil sucked..
    "Rat Rod"
    79 XS1100 Standard
    87 VMAX cans
    Cheap Japanese Tires
    Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
    Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
    Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Very cool, Ken

When can the masses (like me) expect the production version of this clever tool in stores near us?
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I measured out the right amount of oil into one of these and used the flexible spout to squeeze the oil in through the air valves on the top of the forks.

Going in from the bottom seems like a fight against the forces of gravity.

Using the $1 sauce bottle took 15 minutes and not a drop spilled.

Last edited by melbxs; 07-22-2008, 03:00 AM.
        Melbourne, Australia. XS1100RH

Comment

Working...
        X