No announcement yet.

Best way to remove clutch lever cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove clutch lever cover?

Just took delivery of my 81RH. Bikes in good condition however the clutch is busted (previous owner never mentioned that...). I assume the cable has come adrift as I removed the side cover and the spring assembly was all ok. Just wondering what the best approach for removing the rubber clutch lever covers. I could not see a straightforward approach that wouldn't damage them.

Any help welcome.

Mine is held on with a black zip-tie on the inward side of the boot. If I remove the zip-tie, it opens up on that side, and slides off the lever.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Coopz View Post
      - - - - wondering what the best approach for removing the rubber clutch lever covers. I could not see a straightforward approach that wouldn't damage them. - - -
      Hi Coopz,
      the rubber accordion over the lever pivot point? There should be two parts:-
      A little conical condom that fits around the cable, pull that part along the cable until it pops off the main wrinkly part.
      The wrinkly part is split up the back and can be opened like a book for removal.
      Now you can see the cable end going into the lever.
      There's a little black plastic sleeve that wraps around the cable nipple. Be careful not to lose it, I've no idea where one could find a replacement.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I thought on mine I just slid it back down the cable (lift the two little "caps" over the pivot bolt and it should go right back), then removed the cable. The boot will slide right off the cable and onto the new one. Easy as can be. And I REALLY don't remember there being any slits in the piece, at least not on my 79F.
        -- Clint
        1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

It was partially stuck together by some old grease/muck, all good now, was just worried about forcing it, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
            I thought on mine I just slid it back down the cable (lift the two little "caps" over the pivot bolt and it should go right back), then removed the cable. The boot will slide right off the cable and onto the new one. Easy as can be. And I REALLY don't remember there being any slits in the piece, at least not on my 79F.
            Hi Clint, Coopz,
            sorry if I misinformed; so the big piece just slides back? Not split? It's been so long since mine hit the trashcan that my CRS is kicking in about the details.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Hi Clint, Coopz,
              sorry if I misinformed; so the big piece just slides back? Not split? It's been so long since mine hit the trashcan that my CRS is kicking in about the details.
              The big piece (pictured above) is split on the entire area in the picture that is facing upward. The round bubbles cover over the pivot bolt head/nut. The area that is facing to the right in the picture is sealed, as is the area facing to the lower left. When you remove the zip-tie or clamp from the upper right corner, and lift the cups off of the pivot bolt, it slides off the end of the lever. It does not go down the cable.

As Fred mantioned, there is another boot on the cable side of the assembly that looks like this:

1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
              X