Carb Jet Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Jet Question

Every time I search for carb stuff I get a lot of hit, but can't find an answer. There is just so much info here wading through it can be overwhelming.

I am looking to install 80 carbs on a 79 motor. I've found different info on the jet sizes for those two different years (and the carbs are different, of course). So the question is do I use the 79 stock jets sizes to start, or the 80 stock jets?

Leaning towards the 80 jets, since the mix in the cylinders have to be the same, right? But figured I would ask and perhaps save me a couple carb rejets.
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Start with the 80 jets and adjust from there.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Match the jets to the carb

The newer carbs have a different idle feed, so use the later jets.
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

Match the jets to the carb

If a 78 or 79 set of carbs is used on say a 81 XS11, then should the jetting of 78 or 79 carbs be used to start with?
        81 XS1100SH Special
        80 Honda CBX Supersport

Comment

Dman,
          thats correct,
          use the jets that are stock to the carbys you are using,
          same with the float heights.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X