Broke the float bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke the float bracket

Well I did it,I made a rookie mistake and broke the float bracket on no 1 carb.I was getting an intermittent high speed flat spot and the idle was all over the place so I thought it would be a good time to go threw the carbs with a fine tooth comb.(it's been 3 years since I've had them apart)When I went to drive out the no 1 float pin the bracket busted off.What was I thinking ?I know some of you guys have done this repair.I did a search and most of the photos have been removed.I've come up with a couple of fixes but I want to see if someone has a better one.Keep in mind I'm not a very good machinist.Please post your repair and photos if they're handy.Thanks for the help! Terry
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Have you seen this way?

Ken Talbot

Comment

Looks good Ken although mine broke further down that is one of the repairs I'm considering.Thanks
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Though there are some who avoid using it because of the potential for it not holding up being submerged in fuel, I know some have used JB Weld with good results.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Got it fixed! I used Ken's method,drill,tap and flatten the head of the bolt.Thanks again. Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Working...
          X