Transmission Long Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Long Shot

Hello everybody. Thanks for the replies on my electrical gremlin question. It looks like I was overloading the aux fuse with my PIAA lights. Second problem is my transmission. 1st gear is GONE! I need to do the whole tranny fix. I have a complete spare transmission in good shape and have not removed the one from my 79 XS1100. I am reluctant to do this tranny fix myself and would like help from someone who has done this before. I live in Basalt, Colorado and work in Aspen. I would be willing to put someone up in a hotel and i have a full garage where the bike would be prepped. Any takers?? Like I said, I know it's a long shot....

Party in Aspen

BTY I have all tools...impact, torque wrenches, dremel, bits....lots of beer!

Comment

You mentioned beer.....

........wait for it........wait for it.........

Comment

Hold me back!!!! That's almost a good enough excuse for a long drive in the cage...
        Ken Talbot

Comment

well, 16 hours drive for me, tempting.... If you have no other takers before then maybe the next long weekend I have from work.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Darn, it's about 22 hours for me to drive out! and I just started a SECOND part time job!
            I would say prep the gears you have out of the bike, and just do the switch after that is done. Follow the directions in the tech tips, and you should have no problems. That's all I did, although I DID take two days to do it( first weekend of January!). The big thing is the dremel part. do just a LITTLE at a time, and fit all THREE dogs in the slots. Make sure the dogs all meet the slots at the SAME TIME.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I agree with Ray. Worst comes to worst, pull the countershaft out, pull the gears and send them to a member to have them dremel them for you if your nervous about that part. Then re-install them. Plan a few days or more for the job. Take your time and read and re-read the tech tips before you even start. If you get stuck on a step, ask questions here, I sure did.

When I dremel the gears I use a little bit of playdough (it is finally good for something besides screwing up the carpet) as plastigage for the gear mesh of al three dogs and slots.
              Last edited by DGXSER; 03-07-2010, 06:45 AM.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Hmmm. Now to turn it around on you.

Since you can ride it without first gear, how far would you be willing to go to get help? If you planned on coming to the MOM Rally in Hurst, TX, next month, there would be several people there that could help.

So, if you get no offers, that may be an option for you?

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yup.....

......and I'm certain the extra beer would be appreciated.

You can tell where my priorities lay.

Comment

Or you could ride it out here, I have air tools and torque wrenches and you can still buy the beer.

I have lots of spare transmission parts in case you do need more than just a washer swap and pit of grinding.

Got some decent hotels here and some cheap ones, too.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Yea...what Ivan said.........

I want to see how the tranny looks all bare and naked anyway.

The way I ride I'll break it sooner or later anyway.

Comment

I want to see how the tranny looks all bare and naked anyway

Man, oh man, did you leave yourself widw open with that comment...

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Dremel Spare Transmission

I'm a good mechanic and feel pretty confident i can flip the bike and take the tranny out. I've already been through the whole bike, big bore kit, replacing clutch, rear gear mod, new carbs, extra fuel cell, rebuilt brakes, stainless lines, etc... I guess I'm a little intimidated by dremeling the transmission. Like I said, I have a spare transmission that is out of the bike. Maybe I could send the transmission to somebody who has done this many times, along with the dremel bits and Pay them for this service. I could send just the gears or thr whole thing...In the meantime, I can prep and flip the bike. Any takers$$$$$$

Comment

Somehow I knew.....

.......Tod would have something to say about that.

Comment

Working...
                            X