No announcement yet.

just got a XS11g and need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some pictures of what the parts looked like, take a look at the needle, bent then strightend.

I spilled some carc cleaner on one of the diaphragms and rinsed it fast with water, is it going to shrink?

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/6973/
    Charlie
    Rockwall, TX

Comment

Here are some pictures of what the parts looked like, take a look at the needle, bent then strightend.

I spilled some carc cleaner on one of the diaphragms and rinsed it fast with water, is it going to shrink?

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/6973/
      Charlie
      Rockwall, TX

Comment

A little cleaner on the rubber won't hurt it if you wiped it off quick. It tends to expand and dissolve it over long periods of time though. If you soak your entire carbs in carb dip cleaner without removing all the o-rings, they will be bigger than cheerios when they come out of the dip.

The whole idea of this carb cleaning process is to get all of the passageways clear, even if you don't know what they all do. Every hole in the carb has to be clean enough that pressurized air can go through it. The diaphrams must not have any holes and slide freely up and down and stay up when you lift them and cover your thumb over the large oblong hole on the intake side. The pilot jets will have to be extracted and replaced with the correct sizes and the bronze "grindage" that is in there now will have to be removed, not forced back into the pilot circuit. The floats should be checked for leaks and set at correct height and your needle valve assembly should have good o-rings and be able to shut off fuel flow.

Then with inline fuel filters and a non rusty gas tank, the carbs should really sing a song. They are like a choir when they are then properly synched. If your tank is rusty, I just prepped my 3rd gas tank with Caswell Plating 2-part gas-resistant epoxy - it works absolutely beautiful for these situations, and could solve that problem.

Be tedious and meticulous, and careful and you'll do fine. Keep asking questions.

Ben
        Last edited by Shuriken; 08-06-2003, 12:38 AM.
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Hi
          I'm new to this forum also
          but not to XS11s
          I just brought mine out of a slumber of 12 years
          last reg in 89
          i didn't even try to turn it over
          first i pulled the plugs and dumped some marvel mystery oil in there
          let it sit for 2 weeks
          then turned it over with the kick starter
          ended up rebuilding the carbs, took awhile to get them cleaned up, 4 or 5 attempts, soaked them in cleaner for over a week
          rebuilt all brakes, masters and calipers.
          also the gas tank was all messed up.
          also changed oil before i turned it over for the first time
          when it finally came to life it had a little poping thru the carbs at idle
          5 miles down the road and it cleaned out and ran nice
          and still riding it
          http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
          78E main ride, since birth the "good"
          78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
          78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
          79F Parts
          80G Parts
          75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Thanks guys for the addvice I need aal I can get.

I welcome all who care to share thier wisdom.

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to look out for.

Are the pilot jets a standard item or are they special order and where YOU get some if needed?

Thanks again

Charlie
            Charlie
            Rockwall, TX

Comment

You can get jets at any bike shop. I'd go to Yamaha though. Another thing is a lot of shops use aftermarket pilot and main jets. There is a difference somehow between those and genuine Mikuni jets. Most bike shops have a tray of all sizes and can hook you up on the spot though. You'll have to play with the sizes to get them right.

Ben
              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
              1982 XS650
              1980 XS1100g
              1979 XS1100sf
              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Good news, I just found a service slip for this bike from 5-95 so it looks like it has been only 7 yrs that it has been sitting not 10-11 llike I thought.

I spend a few late night hrs working on it and I am now ready to try to use an EZ out to pull two Pilot jets out then I will be ready to finish taking them apart and dip them.

Cant wait to get it going but I will need to buy some parts soon.
                Charlie
                Rockwall, TX

Comment

Working...
                X