No announcement yet.

How did you fix your clutch slip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was having alot of slippage on the special and a year ago I installed new frictions and springs. The old frictions were below spec at 2.75. Then new were at 3.12. I had picked up an extra steel with the clutch kit I stole off ebay but never installed it. Got about 3500mi on it so far. Took it out yesterday and ran down to the fish camp to cut the grrass and came back today. Beautiful ride, 225miles round trip .
    Richard

Comment

Good on you rpgoerlich for NOT installing the extra steel. Down the road will collapse the new springs a bit....how long, don't know, but mechanics and logic it WILL eventually happen. Other than that, +1 what Ken said!
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ive done both mods on the same engine at
        different times, the xtra washers behind the clutch
        springs resulted in a harder lever action compared
        to the extra steel and both seemed to be as effective.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I replaced my steels and frictions with new, and replaced the springs with HD's. I'm sure there's a little wear on the pressure plate, but you'd never know it - it works like a brand new clutch.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

WEll, I just found out this afternoon Im still having a minor clutch slip issue around 7000 RPM and higher. I wasnt WOT but was let'in'er eat when I noticed the RPM "slid" up without any noticable jump in acceleration. Looks like I will be getting new HD springs... New PNM frictions were not enough alone to solve the problem. Whats the best source for HD springs? I know PNM has/sends the WRONG ones...
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I use the EBC-CSK springs from Dennis Kirk, P/N 38-2009, 10% stiffer than stock, $9.99 a set. Vesrah makes a heavy duty spring, P/N 38-0087 for $14.99 a set.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I don't know if the springs were actually NOS or not... I think they may have been EBC. I had intended to pull the clutch to measure and clean the plates, but I seem to have misplaced my 27mm socket, so I just did the springs and closed it up. No more slip I don't remember the exact length, but the new springs were about 2mm longer than the old ones. I applied thumb pressure to the caliper I was using to measure them, and they were also 2mm longer under what I thought was similar compression.
                '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

You missed a choice:

Replaced springs with HD aftermarket AND added extra steel.

That is what I did.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I've got the HD springs in mine. Couple weeks ago I was riding with a friend, and the clutch wasn't fully disconnecting. I just took up the slack at the handlebar 'till I could adjust it properly. MY GAWD! First long ride of the year, and my old hands aren't in shape for that heavy of a clutch yet. I got cramps all the way up to my elbow! Needless to say, the first thing I did after it cooled down was to adjust it properly.
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                      WEll, I just found out this afternoon Im still having a minor clutch slip issue around 7000 RPM and higher. I wasnt WOT but was let'in'er eat when I noticed the RPM "slid" up without any noticable jump in acceleration. Looks like I will be getting new HD springs... New PNM frictions were not enough alone to solve the problem. Whats the best source for HD springs? I know PNM has/sends the WRONG ones...
                      This is where I got mine Wade.....made a helluva difference.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...14&Search.y=10

That is the part # you need to order.

Comment

A fellow member PM'd me and reminded me I didn't post back like I promised above.
                        I went ahead and did the ALTO extra friction mod, and I've been running it for a year with out any problems at all. My clutch lever isn't stiff (like you get with the heavy springs) and I don't have any slip at all. I'm not saying this is the cheapest way but IMHO if you're going to replace frictions anyways this is the best way to go. The only thing I'd do different next time is make sure I got stock steels instead of the Barnett steels I got by accident.

Details:
                        The alto frictions are alto part number 27729/094760-250, they are supposed to be 2.5mm (x9) thick. Combine that with stock steels at 2.6mm (x8) thick and you can run an extra steel and an extra friction for a total height of 43.21. This gives you about 12% more friction area and an extra steel which is supposed to help reduce heat buildup in the clutch.

Stock frictions are 3mm (x8) with stock steels at 2.6 (x7) for a total of 42.2. So alto's would be 1mm taller, which is less then what you add (2.6mm) with the popular extra steel mod
                        1979 xs1100 Special -
                        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                        My Bike:
                        [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                          This is where I got mine Wade.....made a helluva difference.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...14&Search.y=10

That is the part # you need to order.
                          Thanks man!

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                          A fellow member PM'd me and reminded me I didn't post back like I promised above.
                          I went ahead and did the ALTO extra friction mod, and I've been running it for a year with out any problems at all. My clutch lever isn't stiff (like you get with the heavy springs) and I don't have any slip at all. I'm not saying this is the cheapest way but IMHO if you're going to replace frictions anyways this is the best way to go. The only thing I'd do different next time is make sure I got stock steels instead of the Barnett steels I got by accident.

Details:
                          The alto frictions are alto part number 27729/094760-250, they are supposed to be 2.5mm (x9) thick. Combine that with stock steels at 2.6mm (x8) thick and you can run an extra steel and an extra friction for a total height of 43.21. This gives you about 12% more friction area and an extra steel which is supposed to help reduce heat buildup in the clutch.

Stock frictions are 3mm (x8) with stock steels at 2.6 (x7) for a total of 42.2. So alto's would be 1mm taller, which is less then what you add (2.6mm) with the popular extra steel mod
                          Thanks for the update Psyco! I know this is going on the list for me.
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

There's nothing on the list for "I didn't fix it"

Actually I did, by mixing parts from a ebay clutch and my old clutch when I changed engines (cause the stupid cats peed on the ebay clutch and corroded it so I had to salvage parts from both to come up with the best parts from both, cause I didn't really want to re-use the clutch from my old engine.

Then I broke the stupid star plate, so I had to re-use that. But it don't slip now!

But I didn't actually do any of the things on that list. Just mixed a different set of frictions and such together, with the springs that came with the ebay clutch (they were in spec, the originals were not).
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                              There's nothing on the list for "I didn't fix it"

Actually I did, by mixing parts from a ebay clutch and my old clutch when I changed engines (cause the stupid cats peed on the ebay clutch and corroded it (snip) (they were in spec, the originals were not).
                              Yep! Stupid cats!
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I finially got around to putting in some Barnett springs and it eliminated the remaining clutch slip! The clutch was a little stiffer but its hard to tell after a ride or two...

New springs were about 1/6" longer than the old ones. Not quite sure if they were cheap aftermarket or original...

Also, I found out that the 6 bolts holding the star plate on were stretched! I would estimate they were stretched about 0.100". They got so weak they could not withstand the torque when I was reassembling them. So, next time you have your clutch apart check the bolts near the head!

'79 XS11 F
                                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                                Stock, no title.

Comment

Working...
                                X