How did you fix your clutch slip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you fix your clutch slip?

Hi guys, Im just cerious as to how/what everyone has done to fix the infamous clutch slip. I just wanted to see what the most popular thing was.

Replace friction plates only.
    Added an extra steel.
    Added an extra steel and replaced friction plates.
    Replace with Alto friction plates and add a steel.
    Replaced OEM springs with NOS.
    Replaced OEM springs with HD springs.
    Shimmed the spring.
    Replaced the friction plates.
    29.17%
    Added an extra steel
    13.89%
    Replaced with Alto friction plates and added an extra steel.
    1.39%
    Replaced OEM springs with NOS
    12.50%
    Replaced OEM springs with HD springs.
    26.39%
    Shimmed the back of the springs.
    2.78%
    Added an extra steel and replaced the friction plates.
    2.78%
    Ran some Seafoam and replaced the oil.
    11.11%
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

A quick and easy try is a some Seafoam in the oil. Follow the directions on the can. Be sure and change it after just a little bit of easy riding. It cured the problem on mine. I do it now once a year just before I'm due for an oil change. Clutch works great, no slipping and engages smoother.
    78E ... Gone but not forgotten
    2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

New normal duty springs and new frictions.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I voted for multiple things, the first time I fixed it I replaced springs and added an extra steel, This time, as soon as my parts come in I'm doing the alto frictions w new steels and new springs.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
          I voted for multiple things, the first time I fixed it I replaced springs and added an extra steel, This time, as soon as my parts come in I'm doing the alto frictions w new steels and new springs.
          How come you decided to go with the alto frictions + extra steel after you already added an extra steel, did it start to slip again? How long did the extra steel fix work for ya?

Please check all that apply and your results.

I changed only the friction plates and sanded the steels, I was going to put in HD springs from JCW.com but the ones they sent were not the right ones. When I called them I got "Sorry but those are the only ones we have listed for the XS 1100." *Why the hell do you sell them then if they are the wrong ones then?!?* Anyways, its held stong for about 8,000 miles and no slip, if I get board I might put in some HD springs.
          Last edited by WMarshy; 03-06-2010, 06:36 PM.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

It was quite a few years ago and many miles......

I remember just R&R the friction plates and knocked off the glaze (sanded) the steels.... I think I did an additional rough scuff with a heavier grade 60-80 then another minor knockdown with the 400....

Possibly a bit too aggressive of a finish I sense a little too much drag in the system when in gear holding the clutch and of course there is the clank, I think that is normal for the model from what I have read here recently.

I don't think my frictions were anything special... possibly EBC? It has been a few years ago and I did not note brand in the log book.

Hasta!
            Kurt
            Treasure Coast, Florida

I have a parking problem everywhere I go....

2001 Mitsubishi Montero
            1987 944 n/a
            1979 Titan
            1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
            1984 Suzuki SP 250
            1987 Santana 23
            1944 Aeronca L-3B Grasshopper

If it fly's, float's or fornicates..... your better off having a lease!

Comment

I changed the type of oil I was using. Got rid of the stuff with all the friction modifiers and anti wear additives and just went with Castrol 4t Motorcycle oil.

Slipping stopped completely after the second oil change.

I'm still putting in new HD springs.

I want 0 slip.

Comment

Hmm, don't see an option for "none of the above". Tsunami is now sitting somewhere above 100,000 kms, and has never had clutch slip problems. Maybe it has something to do with not doing a lot of WOT get-aways. Or, maybe it is the oil I use...
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                  How come you decided to go with the alto frictions + extra steel after you already added an extra steel, did it start to slip again? How long did the extra steel fix work for ya?
                  I did the extra steel two years ago when I got the bike, same time I did the second gear fix, I hadn't ridden the bike yet and I looked at it as one of those "while I've got it apart" type things. Late last season I started noticing a little slip when I was hard on it in 2nd/3rd getting on the free way. So my speedo is broke but I figure I got about 7k after I did the fix. I don't claim that my results are normal, I know for a fact that the PO was riding the bike for at least a year with no 2nd or 3rd gear = lots of clutch abuse. I didn't measure my steels or frictions so I assume they are just worn and I figure if I've got to replace the frictions I'll get ones that use modern materials and give the extra surface area.
                  1979 xs1100 Special -
                  Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                  My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
                    Hmm, don't see an option for "none of the above". Tsunami is now sitting somewhere above 100,000 kms, and has never had clutch slip problems. Maybe it has something to do with not doing a lot of WOT get-aways. Or, maybe it is the oil I use...
                    Sorry Ken, I figured if you didnt have any clutch slip you shouldnt vote in the poll! Im only interested in the people that experienced the slip issue and what they did and their results.

P.S. Click on the vote numbers and you can see who voted for what...
                    Last edited by WMarshy; 03-07-2010, 11:17 AM.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

Comment

On one of mine I replaced the clutch springs with HD and it did not completely fix it. I tore thru it again and everything appeared good. Then I thought to lube my clutch cable which was very nearly at the point of siezeing. It was acting as if it was releasing, but it held some tension on the clutch. Now I always check the cable and give it a good lubing any time I do clutch adjustments.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                        psycoreefer,

What was the part number for the Alto frictions and how many are you using? Also where did you get them from?

Thanks,
                        Larry
                        Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                        82 XJ1100
                        80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                        64 Yamaha YA-6
                        77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                        See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                          psycoreefer,

What was the part number for the Alto frictions and how many are you using? Also where did you get them from?

Thanks,
                          Larry
                          I don't know the part number, I haven't gotten the frictions yet, but when I do I'll post the part number for you. I'm using 9 frictions and 8 steels - one more then stock for both but according to my source it will result in a total pack the same thickness as the stock pack.
                          I ordered from a fellow member, justjeff. See his posts Here
                          and here. I haven't gotten my parts yet, I was told when I ordered them that there was a 2 week lead on them so I'm expecting to get them sometime this week. I'll be doing a full post on the install with measurements and part numbers as soon as I get everything.
                          1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                          [link is broken]

Comment

Cool...

Thanks for the info,
                            Larry
                            Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                            82 XJ1100
                            80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                            64 Yamaha YA-6
                            77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                            See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

oil change

I also noticed the biggest result from changing from cheap motorcycle dino oil to Amsoil motorcycle 10w40 synthetic . I had done the Seafoam thing in the past but I think the cheap oil was just rebranded car oil with additives...I also got a new clutch lever ,mount and cable and powerlubed it .My bike strangely has no adjustment at the clutch - just a bolt . I have all the parts to upgrade it as I thought this was the issue but havent had to do it...........Saw some bikes out today !!!
                              Last edited by Axel; 03-07-2010, 02:40 PM.
                              XJ1100K
                              Avon rubber
                              MikesXS black coils
                              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                              MikesXS front master
                              Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                              Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                              Progressive fork springs
                              CIBIE headlight reflector
                              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...