Electrical Gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Gremlin

Hello everybody. I own a 1979 XS1100 with a set of PIAA lights installed. I recently noticed there are two connections that appear to be melting together. I have my positive/negative PIAA connections hooked up to my auxilliary fuse box. Behind this fuse box is a connector that comes out and joins with another connector that runs into the wiring harness. The wires and connectors are melting/burning. Any suggestions? Thanks, Paul.

Are those auxilery lights. I'm not familiar with the acronym.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

PIAA Lights

Yes, the PIAA lights are auxilliry lights. The PIAA lights have a fuse built into the wiring harness, but the positive and negative leads are screwed into my aux fuse unit.

Comment

How long have they been on there?
        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

Are the connectors white?If so are they dirty?A lot of issues on here with have to do with the connectors that are white melting.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

The "AUX" connector is ONLY for 10 A. My PIAA lights have a 15A fuse. I wired mine DIRECTLY to the battery, positive AND negative side. You have probably been "overloading" the system. Yamaha used 18AWG wire for most of the 10A circuits, as the runs are short. I use 14AWG for ALL my 10A circuits, just because....
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yeah, my next question would have been how much power do they draw. I was thinking if they had been on there a while and all was well, then it started melting down, you could have a short somewhere.

Comment

Working...
              X