Drive Shaft Boot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft Boot Question

I Have A 78 XS11 and was wondering...the boot covering the u-joints on the drive shaft came off..I still have it but its sliced clean down the center..should i get a new one or can i do without it..and if i have 2 get a new one wats the procedure for putting the new one on??? Any and all advice is welcome cause i love the bike and dont wanna ruin it...

Heres A Pic Of Her..lol..can u tell it means alot to me..lol
    I Live To Ride And Ride 2 Live...The Names †Rider†

pic

sry the pic wont work i guess..lol
    I Live To Ride And Ride 2 Live...The Names †Rider†

Comment

I would advise to get a new one. With the way the driveshaft angles back, and sand/grit will migrate back and down and eat up the gears between the driveshaft and the final drive, not to mention your U-joint there where the boot should be. I think they can be had a bit cheaper, but seems like the boot I bought from Yamaha was @ $54... but they can still be had. The part # is 2H7-22189-00-00

To install it, you have to make some room somewhere. There's 4 12mm bolts that attach the yoke/ujoint to the middle drive coupling. Either pull the rear wheel, then the final drive, then the driveline to make room, or unbolt those 4 bolts and drain, then remove the middle drive. Removing the middle drive is probably the easiest.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thank you TRBIG

For posting the part number!

[rant] Really, I've been reading, and reading, and reading, and reading about problems other people have had (and recorded here on XS11) in an attempt to find part numbers so I can order the same parts for my bike.

Folks (including myself), we need to do a better job recording part numbers in these technical solutions. [/rant]

Again, thanks for posting the part number. During my recent 1st and 2nd gear Dremel fix, I discovered that my boot is cracked (on the bottom) and I need to replace it soon.

Will that part# work on the XJ?
        XJ1100 - Stock
        XV750 - POS parts bike

Comment

Part Numbers

Hey Bee,

Try this link

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx
          Rob
          82 XJ1100
          Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
          Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

For part numbers and pictures, try http://www.benefiscal.co.uk. It's the UK forum site, but has a REALLY nice part search function.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

The part# 2H7-22189-00-00 boot is listed in the Yamaha parts catalog for all XS and XJ models. Just in case you break/ruin/render useless one of the tension springs while you're removing your boot...the front tension spring is part# 90506-07136-00, and the rear tension spring is part# 90506-07135-00.

Yamaha is not going to change the part numbers. So, there's no reason not record them here.
              XJ1100 - Stock
              XV750 - POS parts bike

Comment

Other than it is easily found at any number of sites with the microfiche pictures and all. Why take up storage room that could be used to post pics of the members with readily available info? JMO-YMMV
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Just in case you break/ruin/render useless one of the tension springs while you're removing your boot...

Just try not to do that.. lol. I thought I'd go ahead and replace mine with the boot..... until I found they wanted $14 for one and $18 for the other.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Zip ties would be better and cheaper anyhow. Probably easier to put on too. Those springs are a friggen PITA
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan
                      Those springs are a friggen PITA
                      I've mentioned this before, a tip for how to replace the springs. I cut a length of very light wire, picture hanging stuff, maybe about 8 - 10 inches long, and feed it through both ends of the springs. Cross the ends of the wire in a X shape. Pull on both ends of the wire...the spring ends approach each other. Does not take a lot of effort to "steer" one end of the wire or the other to get the spring ends to hook together, then pull the wire out. Takes a couple minutes per spring, although the rear one is a bit harder to do than the front. This has saved me much time and grief when trying to install the springs.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                      X