Swaping clutch parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swaping clutch parts?

Anyone know if its possible to switch in the later, more adjustable, clutch parts from an 80 or 81 to the 78's and 79's?

Specifically parts 32 through 25 on the fiche.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

AFAIK, the clutch actuator parts are the same from '78-'82. What makes you believe that the 80-81 is more adjustable than the 78-79?

Comment

Um, on my 79 it is impossible to do the "clutch adjustment" on the clutch side of the cable. The only adjustment I have is at the lever. I had someone else on the forum confirm that their early bike was the same way. I guess I just assumed that all the 78 and 79's were not adjustable.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Early ones are fully adjustable, at clutch and also at the lever. All years are the same, even the 82 XJ.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Then I guess a PO did something strange to my 79. I've got the nut and thread shaft, but there is no way to use a screw driver to turn the threaded shaft, its just like the end of a stud or bolt. Doesn't look like it was cut off it looks factory made that way. Maybe a PO lost a part and got something that would work at the hardware store?

Anyways, I guess my question now is does anyone have a spare clutch adjuster shaft they'd like to part with?
          1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Just for kicks, can you post a picture of what yours looks like?
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Sure, I'm waiting for some clutch parts, going to finally fix this stupid slipping thing, thats why I was asking about the adjuster parts, figured I swap em in at the same time. I'll get pictures when I take it apart for the clutch upgrade.
              1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                Then I guess a PO did something strange to my 79. I've got the nut and thread shaft, but there is no way to use a screw driver to turn the threaded shaft, its just like the end of a stud or bolt. Doesn't look like it was cut off it looks factory made that way. Maybe a PO lost a part and got something that would work at the hardware store?

Anyways, I guess my question now is does anyone have a spare clutch adjuster shaft they'd like to part with?
                You could just pull the part and cut a slot in the end with a hacksaw or Dremel...

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well now that I know its not the stock part I prefer to replace it. I suppose I could cut a slot in it but for all I know its not long enough, or maybe its too long, or the wrong threads or.... who knows? I don't really mind modifications but I like to at least start with stock so I know if the new stuff was an improvement or not.
                  1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

Getting shafted by a PO!

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post

Hey Psyco,

Does the end you see look ROUNDED, or is it flat? If it's rounded, then the PO may have just put it in backwards! Not good, because the rounded end is needed to fit and spin against the throwout bearing.

It if it's flat, then they probably LOST the shaft, and replaced it with an all thread section, hope they rounded off the other end..see above for why!?
                    T.C.

PS, here's the link to the clutch plates and extra steel tech tip: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9481
                    And a few photos from that tip showing the adjusting shaft and philips head it's supposed to have! Lots of nice photos in that tip!

T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC, its flat, looks like the end of a bolt. I've already done the extra steel and new springs and that kept it from slipping for about a year and a half then about halfway through last season it started slipping again, only when I'm on it hard in 2nd and 3rd gear but I still want it fixed.

I've just got my tax return so I'm going to do it right this time. Member justjeff has talked about alto friction plates which are thinner so you can use 1 extra friction in addition to the extra steel. I'm going to do that, new frictions, new steels, new springs, and a new clutch basket too because mine is broken. Looks like new clutch adjuster parts as well! If it slips after that then I'm going to take it to a dyno because I must have more power then everyone else
                      1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                      X