Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 standard carbs....

So.... Does the 79 standard use the
    BS 34 II carbs? I just wanted to confirm....
    Also, mikes XS has a Dyno jet kit for the BS 34 carbs,
    but the don't say if it's the type 2 or 3..... I spoke
    with my local shop & they claim Dyno Jet didn't make
    a jet kit for the 79 standard..... Only the 80.
    Any input on this would be healpful.
    I have read on the forum that z1 & George-fix are good
    places to find kits..... Anyone heard good or bad info on
    six sigma, an eBay store that claims to have jet kits too?

Yes, 79 Standard uses the series II carbs. Easiest way to identify them is the 4 hoses (2 fuel, 2 vent) going between carbs 1+2 and 3+4. The series III only has 2 hoses (fuel). Georgefix is a good trusted supplier for Mikuni parts. Don't know much about the Dynojet kits, sorry.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Dynojet kits

I am pretty sure I have researched this before and there are no kits for 78 or 79 carbs.
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Have a look at dyno-jet's website, no part listed for 78,79 xs1100, only kit they have is listed 80+. They 80+ kit will physically work, but you'll likely need different jets then they supply in the kit because the early bikes were jetted differently then the later bikes. So to sum that up the dynojet kit should work, but you'll have to do a lot more work then just follow the directions.

The kits on mikesxs are going to be for 650's so also likely the wrong jets\needles in those kits, plus you'd need two kits because you have 4 carbs and a 650 only has 2.

Georgefix sells K&L brand kits, anyone that sells K&L kits will have the same "quality" but may not be as good as far as customer service, shipping time, etc. I ordered my kits from george and was very happy, even asked for +1 size mains and he included them free of charge.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Thanks for the ifo y'all.... How about differences in needle profiles? I see Mikes has the primarys, mains, idle mixture screws, & needles foe the BE 34 but it never speciffies weather it's a type 2 or 3.... I looked for George dixon eBay, nothin came up.... I could put togeather some mains & primary's but I was interested in the after-market because they have different needle profile allowing more progressive & smooth throttle responce. I know the type of primary, found it on another thread.... What about needles & mains off Mikes, not the size but the type (as he doesn't distinguish between type 2 or 3)

Comment

All the parts (needles, main, idle, air, emulsion tubes) are interchangeable between the series 2 and series 3 as far as I know.

There is a thread somewhere from a guy that used mikesxs needles and tubes in his bike. You're up for a lot of carb tuning if your going to start swapping needles.

I put my stock needles back in after running with the set from the rebuild kit, you could see a difference and I liked the way it ran with the stock needles better.
            If you're having a specific problem maybe we could help? The bike should have good throttle response with stock carb parts unless other things have been modified. What are the details of your bike?

This is a link to georgefix's listing for a rebuild kit.
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...Q5fAccessories
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

OK, thanks. So, when used on the XS the progressive taper needels are less disirable..... That makes things simpler. I just know all my other bikes that I have gotten kits for, have come with new needels. My ZRX 12 has factory pro with titanium needels & I really like it..... I have dyno jet in my Sv 650 track bike it had new needels too. But these old bikes are tempermental to begin with.

I have a stock airbox, drilled, K&N filter, accel coils, & a winning performance 4 into 1 with open megaphone (no baffels).
              Runs much better at all rpm's when warm.... A lot of back fire on decell, a little hard to start & needs choke even when it's warm- hot weather... I have a lockheart oil cool NOT installed yet.... To help with the high egt. My 1 & 4 headders are blueing from the heat, they where used and didn't have any blue on em before....

Comment

Originally posted by daddyp View Post
                OK, thanks. So, when used on the XS the progressive taper needels are less disirable..... That makes things simpler. I just know all my other bikes that I have gotten kits for, have come with new needels. My ZRX 12 has factory pro with titanium needels & I really like it..... I have dyno jet in my Sv 650 track bike it had new needels too. But these old bikes are tempermental to begin with.

I have a stock airbox, drilled, K&N filter, accel coils, & a winning performance 4 into 1 with open megaphone (no baffels).
                Runs much better at all rpm's when warm.... A lot of back fire on decell, a little hard to start & needs choke even when it's warm- hot weather... I have a lockheart oil cool NOT installed yet.... To help with the high egt. My 1 & 4 headders are blueing from the heat, they where used and didn't have any blue on em before....
                All the bold parts tell me your running to lean.

I don't know that there aren't better needles out there, just that I personally didn't like the ones that came with my rebuild kit. If you want to experiment there are tons of needles available, but you won't find a "performance" kit that you can just drop in, you could start with the dyno jet kit, and change mains and idles till it works, or maybe you can just order their needle and give it a try.

As for the rest....
                1. You should need choke to start if your carbs are tuned right, even when its hot outside. Even if its 100 degrees out its still not full operating temperature for the motor. If you don't need choke your probably to rich.
                2. Have you synched and adjusted your idle mixtures? This is a must do!
                3. If its still popping bad on decel try playing with your idle mix screws a bit, that pop can be caused by both to lean and to rich, although blue headers indicates to lean. Turn the screws out 1/8th at a time until the pop goes away.
                4. I may not know what I'm talking about but I don't think an oil cooler will help with high egt.
                5. What do your plugs look like?

Try browsing some of the carb threads in the tech tips
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45
                1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

How about differences in needle profiles?
                  You might try pming crazcnuk - he was having issues about a year ago, and did some really good research on needle profiles. JAT
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                  X