No announcement yet.

Better info needed on how to sync.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This reminds me of some guy that was cleaning up spilled gas with a wet vac. The combination of the sparks from the motor and the gas fumes, well you know the rest. Hope your carbs are free of gas.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by jeepsterluv View Post
      That's right. I'm not trying to waste people's time, I just think out of the box. I have a theory. If 1 cylinder pulls more vacuum than another, it makes more sense to me to sync the carbs identically for longevity. Because in reality that higher compression cylinder is pulling more air. So if I cater to the cylinder by changing the airflow through the carb to allow more air, then the piston rings and valves will experience even less blow by than the others and will keep compression longer than the others. Also I would have to open up the air fuel mixture screw to allow even more fuel into the cylinder, so now I will have more fuel and more air going into that one cylinder making a bigger pop. But if I make sure the carbs are allowing the exact same air flow to all cylinders, then maybe the cylinders will wear out more evenly over time. I'm gonna make it a science project.
      Well, you can give it a try, but the balancing is to make it run good (if the sync if off it will run bad) and out of balance will actually cause more wear and tear on the part most likely to fail first, the crankshaft bearings. Syncing is to give you even and smooth running. On auto engine with a single carb they tune for an average. Fuel injection has changed that some, so they can get it more even, but that's the goal. If you get the vacuum the same on each cylinder that means even power, and even wear.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

This is sounding more like voodoo with every post. Beam me up, Scotty!

Comment

Hmmm. I keep spinning it around and around, it's like the chicken or the egg. No doubt if I sync em conventionally it will probably run smoother. But I keep wondering if it isn't worse in the long run. There may be a part of the carb design I'm over looking, those Japs are pretty intelligent. Here's what I propose.

My engine is in great shape with only 20,000 original miles. I'm gonna test compression before I get it running. I'm gonna use my vacuum cleaner technique to set the throttle flaps, tune the pilot jets with the bike running, and try it out. If it's terrible I'll sync it normally. If it's a little rough but decent running, I'm gonna run it. Atleast every 10,000 miles or less I'll recheck compression and see how well the cylinders take to it. I'll be the lab rat. If the results suck, then I'll do a top end rebuild.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

A Closer Look at Safety

I dunno about the tech tip.

bikerphil may have something there. Seems like that for the good of all you'd have to include the regular Cautions, Warnings, and Dangers. I don't even see those symbols/icons in the smilies selections available.

"Risk of Electrical Shock"
            "Explosion Hazard"

Nobody would even see stuff like that unless it were in large RED print.

Then there's the usual "Disclaimers" written in legalese. That's always in fine print so people without their reading glasses don't even bother with it.

Looks to me like it would be an editing/formatting nightmare with a lot of extra effort and minimal benefit.

Personally, I'd just go with something like this at the top of the page and leave it at that:

...THIS COULD BE YOU.

Comment

If "conventional" wisdom holds true you'll need to rebuild the other end, as the bottom end is what gets stressed by the un-even loading on each cylinder. Really I don't think you'll have a problem "reliability-wise" these motors are well built and you'll probably never see the difference unless your able to put a huge number of miles on per year.

What would be interesting is to compare dyno results, synced off bike vs synced on bike.

We (well everyone who has tried to skip the synch) already know that the engine definitely runs "smoother" with an on bike synch.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

I give up. My vacuum doesn't suck enough. I'm not gonna attempt it on 4 psi. I'll just use feeler wire to start with. Oh well. I did mention in a previous reply not to attempt it without thoroughly cleaning all residue clean clean out of the carbs. Perhaps we should delete this thread so nobody tries to suck gas with a vacuum.
                "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

maybe we should sticky it and let Darwin work his magic
                  1979 xs1100 Special -
                  Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                  My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

Who's Darwin? I think I'll go piss in that electric outlet now. Bye.

Comment

According to the Myth Busters, that would about as effective as the vacuum cleaner concept. The anatomy and does not create a solid enough stream to conduct.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Have you ever accidentally pissed on an electric fence? Trust me, pee conducts!

Comment

I miss Prom, at times like these.
                          XS1100SF
                          XS1100F

Comment

I have to agree with Jeepster here, I pee'd on an electric fence when I was a kid, Not a good idea!
                            Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

I did the electric fence trick on a dare when I was about 6yrs old. I knew the Mythbusters were lying when I saw the show for sure. It is quite the shocking experience and shall never be re-attempted by myself ever ever ever!
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Carb Sync

OK.. I have it now!! Bench sync, then install, sync on bike and after you get it tweaked to perfection, go pee on an electric fence!!!
                                78 XS1100E Standard
                                Coca Cola Red
                                Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X