Jardine Megaphone Baffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jardine Megaphone Baffles

I am trying to remove the baffles from a pair of Jardine megaphone mufflers that came with a 4-2 exhaust I picked up recently. I drilled out the single rivet that was at the "wide" end. Is it now just a matter of banging out the baffles from the "narrow end", or is there something else involved? I'm guessing it's just rusty inside and refusing to budge, but I may be missing something...
    If that something is "hit it harder..." then I would appreciate the go ahead. I would like to save the baffles if I can. I am saving up to replace them with supertrapps eventually and would like to use the jardine stock baffles until then. The baffles appear to extend about 20" down the tapered pipe and are tight at both ends. Is this a split baffle? In other words does just the wide end come off? Or will it come out cleanly leaving just the chrome "funnel"..?

Thanks in advance for any input,
    '
    Regards,

Gareth.

+nfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. Might try riding around to get everything nice and hot to see if it loosens up.

If you are going to try SuperTrapps, are you going to keep or replace the original megaphone? I have thought of using their "disc only" versions for megaphones, but no one seems to have any info on them. Even SuperTrapp is not willing to talk once you mention retrofitting to a different brand of exhaust.

I will be interested in seeing where this goes.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Thanks, Ivan.

The mufflers are from a set of Spaghetti Jardines that I picked up on eBay a few weeks ago. Because they were for a standard, they didn't look too great on my SF. I cut them down today, shortened them by losing the crossover section and will weld them back together with the ferrules to make shorter, stubbier, angled, more "special" mufflers. Looks good now; way better.

There were a few posts in the archives about exhaust mods using Mac or similar megaphone muffler shells with Supertrapp cores. I am running ZRX carbs with pods and wanted to play around/experiment with backpressure/ sound on the bike and see what would happen. I have a baffle from a stainless supertrapp system for the Yamaha FJ100. It looks like it will fit, but I won't know for sure until the old one is outta there..( same diameter, etc..)

But before I welded it all up again, I wanted to get to old baffles out. They don't seem to want to budge. I think your idea of getting them set on the bike and going for a ride is a good one. Lots of guys have left a baffle or two on the highway. I just want to do it on purpose for a change..

Thanks,

Gareth.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
      Last edited by gareth; 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM. Reason: Image problems..

Comment

Originally posted by gareth View Post

I cut them down today, shortened them by losing the crossover section and will weld them back together with the ferrules to make shorter, stubbier, angled, more "special" mufflers. Looks good now; way better.

Gareth.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
        Hi Gareth
        Did you keep the cross over parts you cut out? I am trying to incorporate the cross over on my Venturer with Fat Boy mufflers.
        More correctly Big Daddy Funk & Tinman905 are
        Maxim Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I cut 'em out with a Sawsall....
          If you want the leftovers, send me a PM. Includes crossover tube...!!!!
          Free shipping....

G.

Comment

Working...
          X