What are the best fittings bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best fittings bags?

I'm looking for a nice set of bags for my bike. I don't want some dinky things that I can't fit anything in. I'd like to go with leather. Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of bags are made for or will fit well on a 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special. I still have my stock turn signals and plan to keep them.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

I don't think you'll find anything that will make you happy without re-locating your turn signals.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Hey Jeepster: I got the same bike (81) & I got the biggest bags i could fit (heritage studded bags) I could get from Bikerbags.com - they are in the states. Best prices I found. I think most of there stuff now is synthetic leather (mine are real leather) & ya'know if I could again I would get the synthetic, stands up better to the rain & humidity - the bags don't get soft & no maint. I just swung them under the seat & put the back passenger peg down to help hold them up. This size just fits between the rear turn signals & the side cover. Bigger than that & its too big. You will lose the use of your back pegs though. But ahh the room. I thru forwards on the bike & the passenger uses the orginal driver pegs instead. You can fit a half helmet in these bags, but a my 3/4 one with a sheld won't fit in it. Now at least you have a size to work with & know the loss of the pegs. - Dan , Oh by the way the bike looks way cool with them (I got the matching tool bag for the front too)
      '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
      1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
      Rebuilt head, valves
      TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
      Tkat Fork Brace
      T.C. Spade Fuse Box
      Dyna Coils & wires
      Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
      ISO grips with stelleto ends
      4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
      Bridgestone Spitfires
      Tuned by Tinman905
      & a will to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
        I don't think you'll find anything that will make you happy without re-locating your turn signals.
        I agree... I started with the bags in this picture, and they were a tad too big to fit. They hung down and touched the pipes, and ended up burning a hole in them. They fit in front of the stock signals, but just barely, and they didn't feel big enough for me. I could put a few things in to carry around, but I couldn't do a run to the grocery store.

I upgraded to the hard bags, and I don't know how anyone lives without them! Now I can carry 14 two-liter soda bottles!

1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I've been considering hard bags too. I plan on making some fiberglass parts for my bike as soon as income tax comes in. I want to make a more compact air box that I can trust will seal up better. A better seat pan than my first attempt with steel, and some side plates which will also cover where my old air box was. I wanted to make some kind of forced air induction but I don't think it would work too well with the vacuum system. If I do those things I can make some hard bags that mold with the rest of it. I'm still a big fan of leather though and the hard bags might be too much of a challenge for me.

Cataconicbug, I like the way your bags open up from the side, it would actually solve a lot of design problems for me if I make my own. Thanks for the pics.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

ameritek futura saddlebag

the b classic;; nice bags that curve down at the back;;one buckle only;;sold by jc Whitney and others ;;kindly have a look;; i have some on order,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
            moemcnally@hotmail.com
            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Pitfalls: Know Before You Buy.

Originally posted by jeepsterluv View Post
              I'm looking for a nice set of bags for my bike. I don't want some dinky things that I can't fit anything in. I'd like to go with leather. Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of bags are made for or will fit well on a 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special. I still have my stock turn signals and plan to keep them.
              In the quest for cargo storage you might come across hard bags for sale. That's a good thing cause someone may be bailing out of their full dresser and going for the naked look.

Important to determine/know if the hardware they're selling will fit your bike without any saws-all or welding heroics. Just cause "it came off an XS" doesn't mean that it's a direct swap/bolt-n-go for your bike.

Standard bags are for standards. Special bags for specials. XJ bags are for XJs. Lots of minor differences in the bike's rear dimensions and geometry which end up frustrating the people who thought they bought the right hardware. DAMHIK.

Really makes those pic's of C-Bug's bike stand out as quite an accomplishment.

Comment

This is what I have. No issues with the signals or passenger. They are Tour Master Nylon Cruiser II Medium Slant Saddlebags. I got them around $72.00 at Dennis Kirk.

Excuse the bike. Parts are at the paint shop. LOL

I just threw them on the seat so you get a idea on how they look. The mounting yoke goes under the seat.

But at least you can get a idea on how they look.

Ozz
                Last edited by MrOzz; 03-03-2010, 06:50 PM.
                Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

You cannot have the penny AND the bun.

Hi Jeepster,
                  You cannot have decent sized bags AND keep the rear signals in their stock location.
                  One or t'other.
                  You choose.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Best fitting bags

See, I read the title and thought of Tom's vatar.....
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Hey DGXSER: You know how to bring a smile on everybodies face hehe - Dan (of course I agree)
                      '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                      1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                      Rebuilt head, valves
                      TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                      Tkat Fork Brace
                      T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                      Dyna Coils & wires
                      Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                      ISO grips with stelleto ends
                      4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                      Bridgestone Spitfires
                      Tuned by Tinman905
                      & a will to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepsterluv View Post
                        I like the way your bags open up from the side, it would actually solve a lot of design problems for me if I make my own. Thanks for the pics.
                        Yep, Craig Vetter really is a genius when it comes to design. You can still find bags just like these all over the place. Be patient, and you can find a good deal from someone who just wants to get rid of them.

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                        In the quest for cargo storage you might come across hard bags for sale. That's a good thing cause someone may be bailing out of their full dresser and going for the naked look.

Important to determine/know if the hardware they're selling will fit your bike without any saws-all or welding heroics. Just cause "it came off an XS" doesn't mean that it's a direct swap/bolt-n-go for your bike.

Standard bags are for standards. Special bags for specials. XJ bags are for XJs. Lots of minor differences in the bike's rear dimensions and geometry which end up frustrating the people who thought they bought the right hardware. DAMHIK.

Really makes those pic's of C-Bug's bike stand out as quite an accomplishment.
                        Thanks Larry. You're right. The nice thing is that all the Vetter bags are pretty much the same. There is one variation in style, but it doesn't matter for our bikes (I can explain if you're interested). They ALL fit on ANY of the Vetter mounting brackets. The tricky part is finding the correct mounting bracket for your bike. None of them are marked as to what bike they belong to. The only way to know is find out what bike they came from. I have also noticed (and heard from other Special owners) that the Vetter bags make the Passenger seat pretty much useless. They mount too far forward to allow the passenger to use the pegs.

I got the bracket from a fellow XSive via Ebay, the trunk from Craigslist, then the bags (and another trunk) from another CL seller. Took me over a year of searching and waiting, and about $175 or so, but it's complete now.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          The tricky part is finding the correct mounting bracket for your bike. None of them are marked as to what bike they belong to. The only way to know is find out what bike they came from. I have also noticed (and heard from other Special owners) that the Vetter bags make the Passenger seat pretty much useless. They mount too far forward to allow the passenger to use the pegs.
                          It must be the mounting hardware that is different for the specials, as looking at pictures of your and mine side by side (the pictures not the bikes ) it appears that the bags are about 1 inch further back on the standard, which must be just enough to make a difference between the pegs working for the passenger or not? Maybe some sort of bracket could be created to move the passenger peg forward about an inch?
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                            It must be the mounting hardware that is different for the specials, as looking at pictures of your and mine side by side (the pictures not the bikes ) it appears that the bags are about 1 inch further back on the standard, which must be just enough to make a difference between the pegs working for the passenger or not? Maybe some sort of bracket could be created to move the passenger peg forward about an inch?
                            I do know that there is different mounting hardware for the Specials vs the Standards. It would be nice to be able to fab something that would allow the bags to be moved back just a tad on the Specials. I'm not equipped to do that kind of work, so I just deal with the original setup.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

You can make any hard bag fit any bike you want if you can do a little fab work, welding may not even be required. I perfer the look of the factory Yamaha bags without the normal type of mounts....

Last edited by bikerphil; 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X