Round headlight conversion on 78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round headlight conversion on 78

I have a 78 XS11 and I want to replace the rectangular headlight with a round one. While this may sound like heresy I really like the look of the round headlight. Do any of the othe models offer a direct plug in for the rectangular light wiring?

Also, I would like to use round gauges also - same question - do any other models offer a direct plug in replacement - or one without a lot of rewiring?

Thanks.

The best you can do is try to get 1979 SPECIAL gauges and headlight. You may want to try and find a LARGE round headlight bucket, so you have a little more room for the wires and connectors.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by tri650 View Post
      I have a 78 XS11 and I want to replace the rectangular headlight with a round one. While this may sound like heresy I really like the look of the round headlight. Do any of the other models offer a direct plug in for the rectangular light wiring?

Also, I would like to use round gauges also - same question - do any other models offer a direct plug in replacement - or one without a lot of rewiring?

Thanks.
      Hi tri,
      the complete headlight and gauges from an XS11 Special will drop right on.
      So will the Special's round turn signals.
      The rheostat sender inside the Standard gas tank is incompatable with the red low fuel warning light the Special's tach has instead of a gas gauge.
      The thermistor sender from a Special's gas tank will fit in the Standard gas tank
      but it must have it's wires pointing forward instead of back or it'll be upside down and won't work right.
      The Special's front signals don't have running light filaments.
      You can swap in the bulbs & bulb holders from the Standard's signals or tape the running light wire ends over.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
      X