No announcement yet.

saddle bag mounting hardware (vetter?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are 2 studs that hang down loosly and a (in the stock formation) long nut that is usually visible just under the grab rail, tightened from the side by an end-wrench against the U-brackets on either side of the frame. There is also a lip on the front that slides into holder under the center frame rail, just behind the rear tank-mounting bolt. It makes a 3-point holder for the seat.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      There are 2 studs that hang down loosly and a (in the stock formation) long nut that is usually visible just under the grab rail, tightened from the side by an end-wrench against the U-brackets on either side of the frame. There is also a lip on the front that slides into holder under the center frame rail, just behind the rear tank-mounting bolt. It makes a 3-point holder for the seat.
      That's exactly what I was trying to say with all that mumbo jumbo in my last post. I wish they'd teach me something useful in law school .
      1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
      2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

And ain't it a pain to work it?

There are 2 studs that hang down loosely and a (in the stock formation) long nut that is usually visible just under the grab rail, tightened from the side by an end-wrench against the U-brackets on either side of the frame.
        Hi 'Bug,
        "usually visible"? Not for this old fat man; I gotta grope with a 3/8" ratchet and a 14mm deep socket for fasteners I can't see.
        Compared to the "lift-off" seat on my XS650 the XS11 seat is a total pain to remove and replace.
        The two bikes have several parts in common, as we see from all the XS11-compatible gear in MikesXS catalog.
        I swear the bikes came from different design offices that were using the same parts catalog but were forbidden to talk to each other.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
          - - - I wish they'd teach me something useful in law school .
          Hi Drake,
          they are; you are being taught to speak lawyerese as a second language. In effect you are becoming bilingual.
          Just be careful which language you use when talking about bikes.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Must be nice, I don't have that holder, and can't find any reference to it in the fiche. So my seat is held down by just the two bolts . I think it's fine, but it does take a little jockeying to get it in place so that it bolts down properly. And like Fred it does take this middle aged fat guy a bit to get a deep socket on them to tighten them, assuming I have gotten them into the proper place to tighten that is (which is not always the case on the first try), although I will say, with all the work I have been doing lately that requires removing the seat (most everything I have done lately it seems) I have gotten better at getting everything done right the first time.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              Must be nice, I don't have that holder, and can't find any reference to it in the fiche. So my seat is held down by just the two bolts - - - -
              Hi Cy,
              Look for a rubber-lined letterbox style slot facing aft just below the threaded hole for the gas tank hold-down bolt.
              The tongue on the front of the seat pan is supposed to slot into it before you lower the back of the seat to connect the two trapped bolts at the rear.
              If the slot ain't there some PO must have sawn it off because the metal part is welded into the bike frame.
              You might find the rubber liner in the fiche if you knew what the ESL translator decided to call it.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
              X